Thread: Fuel Gauge Bounces

Fuel Gauge Bounces

On the 1971 Targa, the fuel gauge bounces, but not when the tank is full.
    As the fuel is used in the tank, at around 3/4 full, the neddle begins to bounce.
    Do I have a connection issue, fuel sending unit in the tank issue or gauge issue?

Thanks for assisting
    Scott

Carps or Injektion?
    Did you Check allready the tank outlet filter and the tank ventilation?

Best Regards

Dirk

I will bet on fuel sending unit in the tank issue - the tube is wrapped with wire and at some point low on the tube there is a problem with the wire, so the resistance is altered at that point.

Exploratory surgery is always the gold std.

When I bought the car, I cleaned the tank out, replaced the internal tank filter and all rubber fuel lines. Also rebuilt the Bosch fuel pump. When I pulled the fuel sensor unit on the top part of the tank, I was very careful to not damage.
    The car has Weber, 40 IDAs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bavaria911; 04-10-2016 at 04:44 AM.

Were it me I'd try another known good sender first, if no change then send out gauge for rebuild.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

please measure the resistance of the sensor at low/mid and high tank level and psot your result with and without engine running

later we will check the gauge with resistors. but the gauge is much more solid than the sensor

br dirk