Thread: Very Long jack 911??????

Very Long jack 911??????

Hello This jack came in a 911 I just bought. Anyone know what its for? Not whats for whats it fit?
    I know its a jack for lifting car up. Thanks George

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I've never seen a jack like that before, but I can offer two observations:

The hinged spur on it looks a lot like the hinged spur on the "green dot" jack that came with later 911s:

Name:  new+parts+jonathan+0041294467680.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  60.8 KB

That mechanism has been used on jacks for a lot of different cars, Porsches from 1955 to maybe 1973 (see http://www.356tools.com/Jack.htm) and VWs from 1957 to 1965 (see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433130). Note that the spur on Porsche jacks slopes down while it's horizontal on VW jacks, also Porsche jacks have a rubber bumper on the top. There are probably many others. I understand the last few years it was used with 911s the base was black instead of Bilstein Blue.

It hasn't been too long since I saw a similar jack (the same mechanism) sold new for rally cars. Apparently it's very fast and rally crews are usually in a hurry.

There seem to be lots and lots of Porsches that now have incorrect jacks. The "correct" jacks seem to be in short supply and similar but not "correct" jacks get into Porsches. In fact, Stoddards is now selling a "Genuine Porsche" jack that sure looks like a 1953-1965 VW Jack.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I'm with Eric....VW..transporter, Thing, Kubel, Swimwagen, something old and tall.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Well, this is a VW Bus jack:

Name:  2016-04-10 21.30.51.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  108.7 KB

It's only 22 inches tall and has a different spur.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    I'm with Eric....VW..transporter, Thing, Kubel, Swimwagen, something old and tall.
    I'm not so sure that it is "old". I've never seen anything like it but it appears to have about the same pin as a 73 or later "green dot" jack.
    Could it have come from a 959 Rallye Car? Something, not so old but tall. How's that for a stretch?

Regards

Jim

Banned
    Whatever it fits using it should be an added event to the X Games.

Can you imagine?

914 Jack ?Name:  jack.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  100.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    914 Jack ?
    Poor car. Gives people like us rednecks a bad rep too...
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Quote Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
    Poor car. Gives people like us rednecks a bad rep too...
    For Real! How can you make the perfect 914 and not put mudders on it? I have higher expectations out of my fellow rednecks.
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...