Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: NOS Original Hirschmann antenna

FS: NOS Original Hirschmann antenna

FS: Very rare hard to find NOS Original Hirschmann Auta 4900 LS 18 antenna complete with all the mountinghardware, in the Original box. Price 850 euro + shipping
    SV100397.jpgSV100398.jpgSV100399.jpgSV100400.jpgSV100401.jpgSV100402.jpgSV100403.jpgSV100404.jpgSV100405.jpg

Still available

Quote Originally Posted by enoz05 View Post
    Still available
    Why am I not surprised?

Your antenna is a very nice, almost period correct, aftermarket Hirschmann antenna. It is a bit different than the one fitted to Porsches from the factory, though.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Your antenna is a very nice, almost period correct, aftermarket Hirschmann antenna. It is a bit different than the one fitted to Porsches from the factory, though.
    I agree with Jim. That being said, I've never seen the factory-style antenna with the detachable cable offered NOS and the antenna offered here, the Auta 4900 LS 18, was the factory-advised antenna for dealers and 100% identical up top where visible. You won't find anything better for 70-73 cars.

I recently helped another member find one of these for his 73RS restoration and he was happy to pay the seller his asking price which was north of $500. I thought that was a very fair deal for someone who really wants to sweat the details.

[QUOTE=Jim Breazeale;866263]Why am I not surprised?

Regards
    And what's the different with the one fitted to porsches from the factory and this original hirschmann auta 4900 LS18 antenna?

[QUOTE=enoz05;866273]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Why am I not surprised?

Regards
    And what's the different with the one fitted to porsches from the factory and this original hirschmann auta 4900 LS18 antenna?
    Pretty much everything below the black rubber seal that sits on the fender is different. Your antenna is a universal model that could be made to adapt to pretty much any car. The 911 specific antenna would only fit a 911.

The differences are:
    -the under-fender support would be a solid piece of aluminum with an angled surface to match the fender curve of the 911
    -The shoulder of the antenna to which the under-fender support attaches does not have serrated teeth for an adjustment. Since the antenna was only for 911s no adjustment was needed. The shoulder was just a flat surface all around the circumference
    -The antenna cord connection should be detachable with a knurled enclosure that attaches the cord to the antenna
    -The bracket that goes at the base of the antenna was custom for the 911. Yours is a universal type that can accommodate different distances to the supporting wall

As has been said, yours does look right above the fender, so that's something.
    Jeff Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Somewhere in my highly disorganized collection of Vasek Polak documents, I have a Porsche document dated 1971 specifying the correct antenna as the Hirschmann AUTA 4900 LS 18 which is very similar in appearance to the antenna offered here. Maybe that was only for dealer installs?
    Are there 2 different Hirschmann auta 4900 LS 18 antennas ?

So does anyone know what a factory correct unit looks like for a 67?

Quote Originally Posted by enoz05 View Post
    Are there 2 different Hirschmann auta 4900 LS 18 antennas ?
    No. The factory antenna was a different part. I have never seen a part number associated with one. The Auta 4900 LS 18 was the antenna that would have been installed by a dealer during the same period.

Quote Originally Posted by CarmelSkip View Post
    So does anyone know what a factory correct unit looks like for a 67?
    I'd be interested to hear Jim's take on this as I've seen a much wider variety of so-called factory installed antennas on 65-69 cars.