Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little holes in transmission tunnel

Little holes in transmission tunnel

Hi everyone, I posted this question to the feathered forum a couple of days ago, but I guess knowledge on older 911's doesn't go as deep as here! So, apologies if you're reading this twice!

I'm about to install the floor pans on my 1972 tub, and I'm wondering what these two torn holes are for. I initially thought they were for the seatbelt buckles, but after reading the recent excellent threads here, I came to the conclusion that the buckles would be bolted to the seats in my car. I should add that the car originally came with the sport recaro leather seats that were lost (sigh) in translation (as in movement of the car from one location to another...). I will repair the area with these two holes, but should I re-drill them? If so, what for and what size?? Related to that, does someone know what the little oval hole right on top of the red circle is for? It looks like it's for a wire connector, maybe to the seats or seatbelt? I thought that only the US cars had beeping seatbelt warnings (this one is from Belgium)! Sorry for the many little detail questions, but these cars are a full of so many little details it can drive one nuts!
    Name:  P1120801.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  74.1 KB

While I'm at it, does anyone see anything missing in the inside of the transmission tunnel, like something wrong that I need to fix before welding the floor in? Unfortunately, I wasn't the one taking it appart, so I have no real idea and there are not many pics of this area in the forums...

I did change the brake line, and double checked the fuel lines.

Thanks!!

Name:  P1120805.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  82.1 KBName:  P1120806.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  84.9 KB
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

i don't know what the torn holes are, but the oval hole is for the hand brake warning light wire to pass thru from the wire harness bundle in the tunnel. I would spray a lot of paint in the tunnel before closing it up. Make sure you get the brake line secured by bending the tabs, and use the split rubber tubes as protection over the brake line.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The two holes you have circled aren't there on my Jan of '72 US production car.

Hoping that you are going to spray some epoxy primer in there before closing it up.
    Bob B

Hi, thanks and yes, I will prime and paint the inside of the tunnel before sealing it up! I guess things are ok since no one came out shouting warnings. Funny about the holes, especially since there is an nice raised stamped edge around them that looks like it would have been stamped during fabrication of the metal piece. Don't some 911 have seatbelt fixing brackets somewhere around there?
    ____o0o____

Yes,,,but not 72's and when they did they were further forward and were threaded brackets.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Florio View Post
    Don't some 911 have seatbelt fixing brackets somewhere around there?
    I have been researching seat belts as well. I have seen pictures of a home made bracket that was bolted to the floor pretty close to your circled hole. Perhaps that is what they were put there for.

If your seat rails don't have fixtures to bolt on the belts, there are brackets available that mount where the rear part of the seat rails bolt to the car.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

It's conceivable the PO created those holes to anchor retractable 2 or 3-pt seat belts since the receivers were originally on the seat rails.

Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wow, yes! I think Sherwood has it! I found a seat belt anchor just like that one in the boxes of parts, but set it aside as it has the Audi symbol on it. It's also missing the bracket underneath, so it wasn't very clear how it was bolted on. I guess someone made up a couple of L-shaped brackets and anchored it to the transmission tunnel through those little holes. Oops, if it was torn out, I hope it wasn't at the wrong time for the occupants... Is the one in the photo also an Audi seat belt retractor?

So, holes deleted! Back to the seat anchoring as per original. Now I just need to find the right belts without the five rings.

Thanks,

Dario
    ____o0o____

Quote Originally Posted by Florio View Post
    ... Is the one in the photo also an Audi seat belt retractor?.......
    The first photo in my post (#8) are SB receptacles from peparts.com. Photo grabbed from a Google search. Other than the short receptacle on the right, I didn't see the other hardware on their website.

Sherwood