Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Gen X Will Blow Up the Vintage Sports Car Market

How Gen X Will Blow Up the Vintage Sports Car Market

The Drive: How Gen X Will Blow Up The Vintage Sports Car Market

My 2 take-aways from the article: 1) Gen Xer dream cars are those featured in video games, not posters on a bedroom wall; and 2) I sold my e30 M3 about 5 years too soon!!

good lil read.....

not sure how many gen X ers are real car guyz....but I'm sure there are some......prolly more than I think.

I cannot believe what the B Reynolds trans am is going for these days, just saw the auction on BJ...crazy

I can see the Supras going for 60k on up soon.....

and the turbo RX 7 too......

I drove one e30 M3 in my many bimmered life...it was out of tune and rough....I hated it....but many have passed me on a track.....lol..maybe it was just the one I drove..... Ive owned a few hot rodded 24v e30s though....loved them...those are going thru the roof too. Good clean e30's....hard to find.

huh - I had a Supra AND a turbo RX-7

the Supra always reminded me of what Jenks said about "pace" in the E-type, but it had lousy aerodynamics

the turbo RX-7 always reminded me of a broadsword compared to a 944 (rapier)

if any Japanese sports car catches the same kind of fancy German or Italian cars do, then it will have to be a Toyota 2000 or a Honda NSX or S

the Miata is a nice repro of a Lotus but they were "too successful"

ok, well maybe the last gen RX-7 too

Gen X'ers are in their 30's through to early 50's.. I'm sure its a large percentage of the crowd on here...

Anything 80's is ready to go crazy.
    Matt Hart
    matthartcreative@instagram
    RHD 914
    1980 911SC (sold)
    69' T (sold)
    Early 911s reg # 994

MK1 GTI's are going to be the hot car. We had a real nice one up at the shop and watch guys walk past a GT3 to check it out was interesting to see.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Trans Am?

Having driven neutered "Nobody makes a possum's pecker out of Buford T. Justice" Trans-Am's back in the day, the ONLY Trans Am worth owing is a '70-'74 and a SD 455 is the real ticket. The rest are the best GM could produce in the new era of emissions control. EG: Corvettes making 165 hp and later, 305 cu in engines? It happened and it was ugly.

They are only fast in video games.

$25,000 NSX's? Haven't seen one for over 10 years and it was a rat. No, make that a rat's ass.
    I chased these for a bit before coming to my senses and getting back on point.

I also cannot recall the last totally stock NSX or Supra Turbo that Dominic Toretto and company hadn't already ruined.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by 911quest View Post
    MK1 GTI's are going to be the hot car. We had a real nice one up at the shop and watch guys walk past a GT3 to check it out was interesting to see.
    good call.....I can see nice virgin lo mile cars going for 25k soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Trans Am?

Having driven neutered "Nobody makes a possum's pecker out of Buford T. Justice" Trans-Am's back in the day, the ONLY Trans Am worth owing is a '70-'74 and a SD 455 is the real ticket. \
    Owned a '74 with a Super Duty engine. Had I only known what it was going to be worth some day.

When I purchased it in the late 80's (or maybe early 90's?) it had just had all the body work done and was painted '84 Porsche Guards Red, which worked really well on the T/A. None of the graphics were put back on, so no screaming chicken on the hood. It was a great handling car for its day. The torque from the 455 didn't go well that front subframe. The body twist was nasty, resulting in some stress cracks in the roof. Had to put torque straps on the engine, because of how many motor mounts it snapped!

Traction was nearly non-existent when you punched it - the tires just lit up.

It sits high on my list of cars I've owned over the years.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

There probably are a lot of gen xers on this site. I got worried there for a second, I thought maybe I was the only one and hanging out with the wrong crowd

The cars that become cool are the cars that the 40 and 50 year olds had when they were kids or wanted when they were kids. At 44, I'm still very drawn to the 84 - 89 Carreras. I like my 72, and also think it's awesome but I'm strangely drawn to that era of car. The truth is I only bought my 72 because it was the only 911 I could afford back in 1993. I was only a couple years out of high school and still in college.