Thread: Targa Latch repair

Targa Latch repair

Hello I have searched here and a few other places as well as called Dan P. last summer / fall, is anyone repairing targa top latches where the locking bolt that the handle gos into splits? Stoddard sells this piece for like $28 but is anyone out there repairing them?? I saw a thread with a hose clamp & epoxy repair that sounded like it worked OK but looking to replace the bolt. The other day in searching i found on ebay "Target Tops" dot com selling a service but very vauge as to what they may do and over the years I had not seen them in the past, has anyone used them?
    I have what I think are 3 different build methods welded, rivited & welded & rivited (I have a 67 912 SWT, 71 Targa and a spare top from a 68 swt)
    The latches in the 68 spare were / are both broken, my 71 lost one which I replaced used back last summer / fall which did not last long may have been cracked? and YES i know the latch handle pin is the important part to prevent breaking them.
    On the Stoddard piece, from memory I think it used to say they were machined vs orig being diecast, in talking to them recently they could not tell me anything about the material or how they are made, I have to assume machined unless they got some NOS pieces, honestly would like machined from bar stock, may order a couple just to figure that part out.
    Does anyone have experience with someone repairing the latch assy with the new bolt?? Maybe this is my new calling to disassemble some, build jigs to hold size, and rivet & weld them on repair?? the pic on the ebay offer looked like JB Weld or similar on the attachment points. Any info is appreciated!

Regards

EDIT: ordered the latch bolts from Stoddard, will report back on material / quality.

There is a great guy in Colorado that repairs them his name is Dave

Targa Tops Rebuilt by Dave Brown
    6186 Gale Dr.
    Boulder, CO 80303
    303-499-0110
    TargaExpert@comcast.net
    He fixed mine in my 1978 sc
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun

Thanks, will call Dave later today. should see the latch bolts from Stoddard by the first of the week.

Regards

To Jerry L 's question:

On the Stoddard piece, from memory I think it used to say they were machined vs orig being diecast, in talking to them recently they could not tell me anything about the material or how they are made, I have to assume machined unless they got some NOS pieces, honestly would like machined from bar stock, may order a couple just to figure that part out.

The part in question is http://www.stoddard.com/90156503200-sic56503200.html I checked with our vendor. This piece is machined out of steel alloy 4140, the same steel as our gland nuts. So be assured, it won't break. Hope this info helps.

Thanks I had ask on Monday and again on Wed. when I ordered 2, the folks I talked to said they had no info on material and or method of manufacture. Thanks for the info, would be happy with a part machined from CRS but 4130 is the bonus!!

Regards

I received the latch bolts, they look very nice, definately turned in a lathe with 2nd op slotting etc. I pulled out a spare broken latch from the 71 and a latch from my 67 that at one point I used as a spare in the 71. The 67 is still in good condition and the bolt in it looks to be a machined part as well and more robust than the later versions. I took pictures of both and will post for those interested. they are very different in manufacture, the 67 is also welded. My Theroy on this is the origional latches when invented they were more of a low volume fabricated part that when volumes picked up (68 and later) the methods changed along with the durability (my spare 68 top has both latched broken).
    The assembly method on the 71 looks to be a veriation of what sheet metal folks call a Tonka twist, tab gos thru a slot metal is deformed to hold in place, working like a rivet when done accurately on fit vs the toy twist tab.
    The tabs are also covered with an epoxy like material as well as a few spots on seams. I will do one latch and document with pics and let all know how it comes out.

Regarsd

I did disassemble one of the latches for the 71 over the weekend, pretty straight forward and went back together well, not nearly as bad as suspected, repair went well. there are major differences from the early 67 latches and the 71.
    I have pics in the phone of the process and will download them and add to the thread tonight or tomorrow. Next one will be quicker this was a 2+ hr job being careful not to screw something up. This is a difficulty of 3 of 10 with care and hand tools + a vise.
    Nothing to be afraid of $28 part vs new latch easy decision!!

Regards