Thread: Duplicate Key stuck in door

Unhappy Duplicate Key stuck in door

Any Ideas or recommendations on removing a duplicate key from door lock on early 911 ?
    I suspect that key profile was not cut correctly and it is hung up in the lock tumblers.

Big Bummer.
    Did you try pushing on the cylinder portion while trying to extract the key? gently pushing on the cylinder slightly while pulling on key with other hand If it is binding on the way out you may have too much end play on your lock.
    Maybe get some spray graphite in along side the key to help it?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Do you have a short wheelbase car?

I just changed the Door Handle Base Gasket Set on my '65 last week. I considered swapping the handles left and right (although I decided not to), but it's fresh in my mind.

It turns out that if you take the door handle off the door then remove the screw holding the "actuating lever" (# 20 in this drawing) then you may be able to push the button out of the door handle.

Name:  Door_Handle.gif
Views: 167
Size:  23.2 KB

At that point the pins in the lock tumbler should be unrestrained and it might be easier to get the key out. The pins might fall out, so be very careful. If nothing else, it ought to be easy to take the door handle to a locksmith.

The 1969 and later door handles don't have the push button with a lock in it so this probably doesn't apply. I should also warn you that removing the armrest, door card, etc. to get at the back of the door handle is NOT a fun job.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Red face

Sprayed Graphite around stuck key and was able to withdraw about 1/4". Pulled free with use of vice-grips.