Thread: Weltmeister sway-bar info needed.

Weltmeister sway-bar info needed.

Does anyone know off hand what the thread is on the drop-link used on the front Weltmeister sway-bar – the one that joins the sway-bar itself to the lower A-arm? At the top is a fixed rubber bush, the bottom end is an internally-threaded spherical joint. This bottom joint on the LHS of my car has badly worn and is knocking, so I want to buy a replacement asap (I'm in the UK, so will source a generic spherical joint over here).

Called Weltmeister and was told no-one could give me that information!

Cornwall
    UK

I think those were 5/16th N.C. bolts and nuts.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Shift Knob Maker
    Ed's guess sound right, don't no for sure off the top of my head either, but I do know they are not metric.

Sorry, not much help I know.
    Mark..

The Weltmeister [expletive deleted] uses a STANDARD, not metric, thread. When I called them furious as to why their sway bar mount to the spring blade didn't use an M8 metric screw like every other one in the car their answer was "that is so you can locally source a replacement part if necessary." As though Metric bolts weren't available at every big-box store, small-town hardware, hundreds of Internet retailers or for free from your fellow racers!

If you have the opportunity I recommend chucking the Weltmeister bar into the nearest convenient lake or stream.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Shift Knob Maker
    Sorry, but that seems a bit dramatic. Considering they came out in the 80's, standard hardware was logical then. I have both sway bars on my car and they have been on there for 20 years with no problems. Lots of race cars then and now use lots of AN hardware, so it is not really much of a stretch to think that a performance upgrade would use that hardware. They are more period correct than a lot of the current offerings.

When I restored my 70T and moved my Weltmeister bars to it, I sourced hardware for them in SS from Aircraft Spruce. Lots of cool nuts, bolts and fittings on their site.

Just my 2 cents.
    Mark..

Er, thanks everyone! I won't be throwing my Weltmeister bar in the nearest lake as I'm too cheapskate to buy a replacement.

I've tracked down a replacement joint, so hopefully El Chucho will return to a knock-free ride forthwith...
    Cornwall
    UK

Weltmeister was an 'invented' brand created in the 80s by Automotion so they could sell their products through competing retailers. So there is no "Weltmeister" entity, just a product line now owned by Ecklers, after several sales (Automotion sold out to Performance Products in 1999). I have heard that Ecklers has parted with all the folks who had Porsche-specific knowledge. But I do not know that for a fact. What I do know for a fact is that I came up with the name Weltmeister when doing the marketing for Automotion (and all the 'horizontal' catalogs).
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Weltmeister was an 'invented' brand created in the 80s by Automotion so they could sell their products through competing retailers. So there is no "Weltmeister" entity, just a product line now owned by Ecklers, after several sales (Automotion sold out to Performance Products in 1999). I have heard that Ecklers has parted with all the folks who had Porsche-specific knowledge. But I do not know that for a fact. What I do know for a fact is that I came up with the name Weltmeister when doing the marketing for Automotion (and all the 'horizontal' catalogs).
    Ah, that's woken up my memory cells (as old as they are...). It was the folk at Performance Products I spoke to – who didn't know what thread size the joint is. I have a spare on its way, so all's good. Thanks everyone.
    Cornwall
    UK

I won a lot of trophies with my Weltmeister sway bars. I even got D. Bell to test the car and he found it to be incredibly flat through the corners. He loved it.

The problem was they were so big that they seriously diminished the ride quality on the street. Once I quit competing in Solo events I went back to stock 911S bars on both ends.

Name:  911 @ Homestead.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  60.0 KB

Richard Newton
    What is This Stewardship Thing?

This may help:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Welt...-1000-1100.htm

We've sold the Weltmeister line for over 20 years and to say dealing with the Ecklers version of Weltmeister is frustrating would be an understatement!
    Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Early 911S Registry #428
    R Gruppe #375
    1973 911S
    1972 911T
    1974 914 Limited Ed. Blk/Yellow
    1989 944 Turbo
    1993 968 Turbo RS
    1967 Shelby GT500
    1968 Shelby GT500 Conv.