Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: @AK - Late 1965 Model Year 911

Matching

I thought perhaps was some VIN mix up. However, the engine and tranny number match. Highly likely the same car. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (28.0 KB, 645 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (32.6 KB, 636 views)

Pics of numbers/coa/kardex

Here are more pics:

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

Just wonderful it was saved...I would be proud to own it.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Surely I should only hope that the result of my restorations comes close to this very nice piece of work (as judged from photos, have not seen the car live). I am certainly not disputing anything said about this car, but looking at the enormous offer of pictures, I list the following elements that do not fit my array of time-changes during 1H65. Could indeed be that this car was delayed somehow, although not clear how a car delayed would get its VIN so late in the process. More logically a delayed car would have an early VIN and would be equipped with later period finishing details, this looks the other way around. Then again, it was a mess back then.

I realize I can only list these observations as the many pictures show such nice detail. So, again, not intended to devalue anything shown: it looks like a very nice car, 100% better than all I have seen for example in Essen or at (formal) Porsche dealers over the years so far and I wish I get close to this with my projects.

Things that come to mind:
    • The seats with 6 folds allegedly stopped 1Q. Interior of this car was redone but I doubt whether the seats originally had 6 pleats.
    • From the pics the vinyl looks grey semi-gloss rather than black shiny
    • The seatbelt hook-on rings are round. I think the oval shaped ones were for the 1965 optional seatbelts
    • Jacket-hooks original or repro; photo/lighting might put me on the wrong foot
    • 6 piece wood dash should be 5 piece for this VIN (normally)
    • Fuel door release knob is too big to be the standard model used at the time
    • Yellow zinc in the engine bay
    • Wheels from month 7; could be, although not common to have stamp dates from same month as the car delivery
    • 4-5 button dash top about 3 months later than the supposedly last ones

No offence. Even if all of the above suspicions are true, 95% could still be standing tall.
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Just wonderful it was saved...I would be proud to own it.
    Thanks Peter...I agree. This was a restoration done by someone who is passionate about these cars.

He lurks on this board and definitely enjoys reading everything, but I doubt he will chime in. However, he did send me this photo of all the hardware that I thought you'all would enjoy.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul-HB; 04-26-2016 at 01:49 PM.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

hmm, wow, where can I get this?
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965

Question, does anyone know when the 6 fold seat stopped?

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

I did a partial restoration or rather fixed much of a misguided restoration on car number 1945 which was an irish green sunroof car. That car did not have the button dash, the owner asked me to put one in but looking at the original metal it never had that dash so I did not put it in.

The color code was 6604 even though the vin was earlier than the car in this ad. Who knows what could have happened in the factory, there were defects and mistakes made sometimes so I am sure cars got pulled out of the assembly line due to a problem that could not quickly be fixed until the special repair could be made. Maybe the sunroof delayed the car. VINs were stamped at the time the metalwork chassis was completed so if a car was pulled off the line then another 100 or 200 cars could have passed by before the pulled car was put back in. I heard they were building around 45 cars per day at this time, including 912s. So an occasional VIN discrepancy of 100-300 numbers when compared to other similar cars and the parts on them is normal.

Our Kardex was noted as delivered on August however digging through factory records we found the fuel receipt dated middle of July - so we believed our car was most likely running and driving and was not cleared to leave by the time the August break rolled around but it was mostly completed in July as it was road tested. Nowadays who cares what the exact VIN cutoff is for 65 as there was no factory noted cut off, just small changes/evolutions. But for the guy worried about an exact 65 model year car vs a possible 66 model year then this car fits within the last ones that can definitely be called 65. I am building car number 3500 right now, it is a very early 66 but it has the major attributes as the 65 cars had minus the minutia odd details that only people here would talk about. I wanted to do a blue car and all I could find in 65 cars were Red ones, there are a bunch of red 65/66 cars. I found 303500 and it was matching numbers with most all of the original parts and it was Aga Blue and a Solex car so I am now happy working on it.

This car in this ad, I looked over the pictures before it was put on the market. The owner put a great amount of effort and pride into the car obviously. You can't duplicate this car for the same money if you bought a project today and you might not find as original parts as are on this car because it was built when there was much more availability of the rare 65 parts sitting around on shelves; which are now obscenely priced. There are a few cars that might be better or earlier but those are probably already in a collection and will rarely be sold. Many 65 cars were quickly restored recently by amateurs to resell and make a profit, this is not one of those cars. This car is absolutely better than any of the recent 65 cars at auction, again a bunch of red ones have been auctioned - I looked at most of them and was not impressed with the last car auctioned in Scottsdale being the worst I had seen. So if you are looking for a 65 then it would be hard to find a better one at the same price. Great car, great restoration, great seller.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageExcellen View Post
    .............. The owner put a great amount of effort and pride into the car obviously. You can't duplicate this car for the same money if you bought a project today and you might not find as original parts as are on this car because it was built when there was much more availability of the rare 65 parts sitting around on shelves; which are now obscenely priced. There are a few cars that might be better or earlier but those are probably already in a collection and will rarely be sold. Many 65 cars were quickly restored recently by amateurs to resell and make a profit, this is not one of those cars. This car is absolutely better than any of the recent 65 cars at auction, again a bunch of red ones have been auctioned - I looked at most of them and was not impressed with the last car auctioned in Scottsdale being the worst I had seen. So if you are looking for a 65 then it would be hard to find a better one at the same price. Great car, great restoration, great seller.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageExcellen View Post
    ........................ Who knows what could have happened in the factory, there were defects and mistakes made sometimes so I am sure cars got pulled out of the assembly line due to a problem that could not quickly be fixed until the special repair could be made. Maybe the sunroof delayed the car. VINs were stamped at the time the metalwork chassis was completed so if a car was pulled off the line then another 100 or 200 cars could have passed by before the pulled car was put back in. I heard they were building around 45 cars per day at this time, including 912s. So an occasional VIN discrepancy of 100-300 numbers when compared to other similar cars and the parts on them is normal.
    Some 3300 cars in production year 1965 would be some 15 a day on average of the 911 (excluding weekends and vacation). First months this was below or around 10. Agree, the whole sequencing will have been messed up several times a week and also with big delays on some individual cars.
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965

Price has been adjusted to $255k

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3