Thread: Correct color for plating engine my 66

Correct color for plating engine my 66

Hi all, finally continuing with the restoration and currently working on the engine to go back to the car.
    For years I have been doing research and collecting pictures to get every detail correct.

The restoration took a pause and it seems I have some trouble getting back into it again.
    I thought I was on the right track with the engine but some recent restored cars that are being showed and some cars that popped up for sale made me doubt..

Main issue I am having is with the plating color of several engine parts like pulleys, throttle linkage and other small nicks and nacks.
    In my opinion there is no yellow plating used in the engine compartment except from some screws and nut/bolts.

But for instance on the late 65, model 66 sold by Autokennel the throttle linkage is yellow.
    Other pictures I collected over the years show also yellow pulleys and other components around the Solex carbs in yellow.

Also on the inlet base for the cars I see several colors being used like black or silver.

A lot of pictures I have I collected from other threads and internet sources so don’t know if I can freely post them here since I don’t know exactly which pic is made or owned by whom.

So basically the question is, what is correct? Any help is appreciated
    Last edited by Semjon; 04-23-2016 at 09:46 AM.
    Early 911S registry member #1391
    Built '65, MY66 911 in total restoration

My recollection is that it is mostly clear zinc/cad (silver color) on the alum case engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Semjon View Post
    Hi all, finally continuing with the restoration and currently working on the engine to go back to the car.
    For years I have been doing research and collecting pictures to get every detail correct.

The restoration took a pause and it seems I have some trouble getting back into it again.
    I thought I was on the right track with the engine but some recent restored cars that are being showed and some cars that popped up for sale made me doubt..

Main issue I am having is with the plating color of several engine parts like pulleys, throttle linkage and other small nicks and nacks.
    In my opinion there is no yellow plating used in the engine compartment except from some screws and nut/bolts.

But for instance on the late 65, model 66 sold by Autokennel the throttle linkage is yellow.
    Other pictures I collected over the years show also yellow pulleys and other components around the Solex carbs in yellow.

Also on the inlet base for the cars I see several colors being used like black or silver.

A lot of pictures I have I collected from other threads and internet sources so don’t know if I can freely post them here since I don’t know exactly which pic is made or owned by whom.

i dont know much about engines....but i think my66 was the transition year where yellow was introduced...they took what they had in the shelfes..
    here is a pic of the steering collumn bearing bracket of a nov`65 car...one screw was silver one yellow one ribe one F&H
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semjon, I think that 64-66 were silver, and in 1967 the yellow chromate coating was introduced. Of course there are exceptions on the original cars.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Ok guys, thanks a lot! Silver it will be!.
    That one silver and one gold screw really is incredible

Any ideas on intake manifold, black or silver? I am seeing both again.
    Pity all the factory period photos are black/white...

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Semjon View Post

Do you mean 302003, for sale at http://www.autokennel.com/AutoKennel..._911.html#grid? That car is one of the last '65 Model Year cars, built 22 July 1965. It's a beautiful car but there are a few discrepancies, one of them being the yellow zinc/cadmium plating. It's also missing the shoulder harness mounting points below the rear windows which is a surprise.

Anyway, there's very, very little yellow plating in a 1965 engine bay. Maybe the little special machine screws [901.108.371.00] that hold the float bowls to the intake manifolds should be yellow.

I found one original color photo in a period brochure showing the engine of a very early 911:

Name:  Red_911_3_ps.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  194.8 KB

Name:  Red_911_engine.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  770.1 KB

This engine photo appears in one other brochure by the way.

I'm not entirely sure when Porsche started using yellow zinc/cadmium plating but '67 seems likely as 304065 said.

As to the Solex intake manifolds (assuming you have Solex carburetors):

I've almost always seen the Solex manifolds in bare metal. I think they're magnesium and they'll be more grey than silver. I did once see gold manifolds, like the finish used on very early VW and 356 cases, but that may well have been a creative restorer.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Original Solex manifolds have a gold iridescent look , very difficult too duplicate , so very unusual to see ones that are correct . The cross bar for the carburetors and the individual bars on each carburetor are an alkaline zinc with yellow chromate . Also , original cars I have seen : two late '65's and one early '66 have yellow zinc fan pulleys and clear zinc fan hubs . The nut and large concave washer for the pulley were yellow zinc also .
    Last edited by Richy; 04-24-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add text

Neunelf thanks for the pictures! I have that brochure myself but somehow forgot about it.
    I indeed mean 302003 at AutoKennel, very beautiful car! The throttle linkage made me doubt what is correct.

Richy, thank you for your reply. You are not making it any easier this way
    Perhaps have any pictures of these cars?