Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Classic Tire Recommendations from Porsche

2016 Classic Tire Recommendations from Porsche

First oil. And now the factory wants to share their thoughts with us on "correct" tires.

See the recommendations here: http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori.../tyreapproval/
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

The list has been published periodically since many years ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

I like the new list. Shame about the typo's. 185/80 should be 185/70. They got it right for the 356 but screwed up the same tires on 911914/924/944

Looks like Pirelli has invested in many new additions!

A 165VR15 at last and a new 245/45r16!

Do they recommend anything other than Pirelli for an early car on 15s?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I never had good luck with Dunlops or Pirellis.
    The Dunlops got flat spots around 20,000 miles' the Pirellis just didn't feel right.

I got acquainted with Michelin XAs 165x15s in the late 1960s, on my 356C, then on my 911S. They stood up well and had great road-holding.

The only source in the US today is Coker. www.coker.com

member #1515
    The factory has been testing tires for years now. I think the manufacturer has to pay a fee for any tires submitted, and to get the N rating. Thats why N spec tires are always a bit more.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

...this is the new CN36 from Pirelli in 165VR15:
    Stefan

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx911 US-delivery 130PS MJ68

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by Orval_F View Post
    I never had good luck with Dunlops or Pirellis.
    The Dunlops got flat spots around 20,000 miles' the Pirellis just didn't feel right.

I got acquainted with Michelin XAs 165x15s in the late 1960s, on my 356C, then on my 911S. They stood up well and had great road-holding.

The only source in the US today is Coker. www.coker.com
    I never got more than 10k miles on any brand of high speed rated tire. All Dunlops were crap, the Pirelli CN36 was great in its day, the XWX was good in the dry, the XAS was for lower HP cars. Used on everything from 2CV's to Guliettas, Citroens etc, Good tire, just not really a high performance tire.
    I've stuck with Bridgestones since switching from the P7's on a Turbo in the 80's. Always good wet or dry, I use RE11's on 16's now, since the discontinued the S02 for 15's. Not concourse but a fantastic tire.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

According to my Pirelli HQs contact, the CN36 is not available in the domestic U.S. - U.K only. Anyone have a different experience in finding a U.S. source? Thank you

Of course there are better tires out there but I think this is about vintage sizes and/or quasi vintage treads.
    I liked the CN36 design from when it was introduced. From what I have read the new batch is more like the originals than the last group....maybe even better.
    The new 165 size opens up some fitments that we only used the Michelins or Vredesteins in the past and some stagger fitments with the 185/70s that we used Vredesteins or Avons before.
    I am ordering some and I will try to post my impressions when they arrive. (Longstone Tyre should have the Pirellis)
    H