Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Widson: Are '68 turn signal stems supposed to be black or chrome?

Seeking Wisdom: Are '68 turn signal stems supposed to be black or chrome?

(It's pretty sad, when a member can't even spell the word "wisdom.")

I once believed that the correct finish for the turn & wiper signal stems (mounted to the steering column) was chrome. However, I just saw a black-finished turn signal stem dated "67."

My car's build-date was august, 1967...

Which is correct for an August 1967-built 911 "Normale"? Black? or chrome?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
    Last edited by mshaver51; 04-25-2016 at 11:20 AM.

I would like to know the answer too. I was led to believe that 68 Euro delivered cars had chrome stalks. Maybe Jim will chime in soon.

Okay, Breazeale, the public awaits your wisdom!!

where are you on this?

My 67 normal and my 67 S both have chrome stalks with of course plastic black ends. Are you sure the ones you saw weren't painted black to cover the typically pitted chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    Okay, Breazeale, the public awaits your wisdom!!

where are you on this?
    Ok, OK. My take on this is 68 turn signal stalks are black and have a rubber knob vs a chrome stalk with a plastic stalk. This goes for US versions of 68YM cars. I do believe that some 68 ROW cars still had chrome stalks with hard plastic knobs. US cars were all mandated by the DOT to have soft knobs on the dash and doors, as of Jan 1968, thus the rubber knobs on the levers and those awful knobs on 68 and later window crank handles. 68 saw the first black wiper arms along with the black turn signal and wiper lever arms to cut down on glare. More of our US government looking out for our safety.
    I want to make it clear that I am not that familiar with ROW cars and my views on ROW cars are only made from casual observations. RHD cars are another whole world in themselves!

Regards

Jim

My Euro delivered 68 911L has chrome stalks and plastic knobs. Car was built December 1967. Have seen other 911L's with the same.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Mine was a July '68 build completion, RHD, ROW, and had chrome stalks with the hard plastic handles.
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Mike,

My early ROW S also has chrome stalks. I can't recall if your car was destined for US or ROW.

SCOTT
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

well, this is turning out to be one of those traditional "Porsche -- what was right?" discussions with no clear outcome. However, I do very much respect the response of the Oracle -- one James Breazeale. Thank you, Jim, as always.

To make the situation even more muddy for me, as a result of my incessant consultation of the parts manual, I find multiple notations that parts changed "beginning with #11880002." (Mine being the car immediately prior to #002.) This "officially documented" statement simply makes the situation more ambiguous.

I continue to be interested in other contributions to the discussion.

Is there any evidence left on your stalks?
    Are your knobs the safety style? How about the vent window lever covers?
    On the cars that I have found, all of the safety equipment was put on together...not piece meal.
    So if there is any evidence of the DOT safety equipment, then they should be black.
    If not, then they would be chrome. Your car is fairly early in production.
    Porsche would make sure that the DOT requirements are ready well before Jan but Aug is early.....
    Assuming your car is USA made version......
    H