Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: 911S Resurrection Not Restoration

Name:  IMG_20201218_175507.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  165.7 KB
    I have a question. What is that cut in the center frame of the back piece? I thought it had to do with the windshield wiper, but that option came from the factory. What is that cut in that place?
    did the factory cut that way to add the wiper?

it is not symmetric, so it was not done at factory...

Quote Originally Posted by bob joyce View Post
    it is not symmetric, so it was not done at factory...
    my question is. When a 911 had rear windshield wipers did it have an "incision" of this type in the same place? At what time was it carried out? when seeing the extra list? I think that this cut is not manufactured but my question is if it was necessary that this "part" was not there or if on the contrary it was removed by oxidation or similar. Thanks a lot!

+

From a dealer in Las Palmas a few years ago they answered us that our vehicle was this:
    Name:  lasplamas.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  7.9 KB
    Last edited by _gonbau; 01-24-2021 at 04:44 AM.

I have another question ... What is the bv number? I thought until now that it was the number of the gearbox ...
    In communication with porsche france, the number of our gearbox has a 7. Should I understand this as an error?

Baudett .. I think you will have to search for pictures of 1972 Porsches with a rear wiper to properly conclude.

baudett
    that cut would have nothing to do with a rear wiper installation unless it was some strange one not done by the factory. the standard factory pressing of the rear lid and all parts associated with it allowed for a wiper or not - to do otherwise would have made the production line impossible to manage profitably. The parts are bolted on to the LHS and the only difference is a hole goes through the lid at a pre-specified point either for LHD (on LHS) or RHD ( on RHS)

I don't understand the question on the gearbox - is it to do with that printout you posted earlier with (supposedly) your car's specs ?
    that says sporto - and it does not give a number. BUT it cannot be correct. As I understand it your engine number is 6320900 and is a 911/53 and your gearbox number is 7324597 - is that correct?

the 3 in the gearbox number means that it is a 5 speed 915/02 gearbox. Likewise the 0 after the 632 in the engine number, as well as the type number 911/53, means that it is a manual gearbox not a sporto as shown in that printout from Porsche.
    So that document has errors in it
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    baudett
    that cut would have nothing to do with a rear wiper installation unless it was some strange one not done by the factory. the standard factory pressing of the rear lid and all parts associated with it allowed for a wiper or not - to do otherwise would have made the production line impossible to manage profitably. The parts are bolted on to the LHS and the only difference is a hole goes through the lid at a pre-specified point either for LHD (on LHS) or RHD ( on RHS)

I don't understand the question on the gearbox - is it to do with that printout you posted earlier with (supposedly) your car's specs ?
    that says sporto - and it does not give a number. BUT it cannot be correct. As I understand it your engine number is 6320900 and is a 911/53 and your gearbox number is 7324597 - is that correct?

the 3 in the gearbox number means that it is a 5 speed 915/02 gearbox. Likewise the 0 after the 632 in the engine number, as well as the type number 911/53, means that it is a manual gearbox not a sporto as shown in that printout from Porsche.
    So that document has errors in it
    a piece of light when reading your comment! I understand, what do you mean to tell me that the recently displayed document "from the porsche factory" also has that information about Spormatic wrong? Excuse me for my inexperience but I have very green the issue of engines and types of gearboxes ... Regarding the number, porsche france included a 7 in front of the gearbox number and porsche spain gave that same number but without the 7 in front. What is the correct number for my gearbox? I understand that the addition of 7 is an error? Or is this number correct? On the other hand, I would like to understand well the issue of spormatic. When I get these documents I tend to think that they are given by "experts" and that there are usually no errors of this type! Ignore the detail that you say but not the date or that they will not give me a gearbox number ... How is it explained that the factory has erroneous data of this type? On the other hand ... I think we can agree that the hole in the back of the part is not from the factory. I think, it was done for something but I can't think what. I understand that my car's windshield wiper is original, with its switch etc ... So. If the piece of the wiper has always been on top of that "hole" that was there before the wiper? ... I will surely re-read your message and make some additions to this comment. As always ... A pleasure to read you!
    Name:  139331614_10214441221984691_432509951392965548_o.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  34.4 KB

and if the gearbox number is correct! except for the doubt of 7 as the first digit

Baudett

the 7 is always on the gearbox as the first number - it signifies a gearbox for a 6 cylinder engine. However it is rarely shown in Porsche records - and certainly mostly not shown on COA's
    The story I have been told, which sounds true, is that this period was at the very early stages of computerized records and unlike today data storage was very limited and very expensive. So as all the gearboxes started with a 7 someone decided to leave that off the computerize records and by doing so saved a lot of computer memory space. But it is always stamped into the gearbox.

I have never heard of any other explanation and would be interested to hear of any other views
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Baudett

the 7 is always on the gearbox as the first number - it signifies a gearbox for a 6 cylinder engine. However it is rarely shown in Porsche records - and certainly mostly not shown on COA's
    The story I have been told, which sounds true, is that this period was at the very early stages of computerized records and unlike today data storage was very limited and very expensive. So as all the gearboxes started with a 7 someone decided to leave that off the computerize records and by doing so saved a lot of computer memory space. But it is always stamped into the gearbox.

I have never heard of any other explanation and would be interested to hear of any other views
    interesting information. I think, if I didn't read it in this forum I would never know it. A quick but effective method to save "space" I understand before ... they were only Kb ... I will be aware of stories about 7 since I did not know this. Until now I thought it could have been a porsche france mistake. Do you know why 7 and not another number?

**from my point of view "of computer science and database" what you comment has some utility and in those times, I suppose, it would save time in search tasks in the DB!

7 was the number Porsche used for all gearboxes for 6 cylinder cars since the 1969 MY (just like 6 for engines)
    before that there were different first numbers depending on the engine type for 1968 and before that a different system again

on why you got one thing from France and another from Spain -some people know that it is deliberately left off the internal records and add it back - others either don't know or don't take the trouble to add it back
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776