Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have these after-market retractable seat belts in their car?

Anyone have these after-market retractable seat belts in their car?

I currently have original Repa non-retractable belts in my '70T.

The convenience of retractable seat belts appeals to me. I was thinking of retiring my existing factory seat belts into storage and replacing them with these belts from Sierra Madre, below.

Does anyone have any experience with these and an idea of what's involved to install them (i.e. existing mounting points?). Pics of installed belts would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    I currently have original Repa non-retractable belts in my '70T.

The convenience of retractable seat belts appeals to me. I was thinking of retiring my existing factory seat belts into storage and replacing them with these belts from Sierra Madre, below.

Does anyone have any experience with these and an idea of what's involved to install them (i.e. existing mounting points?). Pics of installed belts would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Replacing your lousy (my opinion) original seatbelts with inertia reel seat belts if a relatively simple task. Your car already has the captive nuts in the chassis to hold the reels. In my opinion, it would be better to get a nice set of belts out of a 85 or later Carrera or a 944 (83 or later) and install them in your car. Look for belts with no wear on the driver's side belt. The passenger side belt is almost always in like new condition. They can be installed in a couple of hours and look like they came with the car. I won't go into great detail about the installation but it can be done by anyone with the slightest amount of ability and a very basic set of tools (mainly a 17mm combination wrench).

Regard

Jim
    Been there, done that.

There is an original set of retractable in the parts for sale section. Saw it this morning FYI

Thanks guys for the replies.

Jim. I like your suggestion of using a later model set of Porsche retractable belts. Did a quick check on Ebay and found these from a 944, which are being sold without receivers.

Is it safe to assume that my existing Repa receivers would be compatible with these male fittings? If so, that would be an added reason for going with later model Porsche retractable belts, along with the overall look of "originality".

Thanks guys for the replies.

Jim. I like your suggestion of using a later model set of Porsche retractable belts. Did a quick check on Ebay and found these from a 944, which are being sold without receivers.

Is it safe to assume that my existing Repa receivers would be compatible with these male fittings? If so, that would be an added reason for going with later model Porsche retractable belts, along with the overall look of "originality".

Brent

Your receivers will not work with those belts. I would recommend buying belts with their receivers just so you get all the matching components. My picture will explain why your receivers are not compatible with those EBAY belts. Later belts will upset the Authenticity Police but won't look like you got them at Kmart

Ciao

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Jim. A case of the proverbial round peg in a square hole, except in this case it's round versus square holes.

Shift Knob Maker
    I like the look of these for replacements.
    https://www.partsklassik.com/p-1062-...tractable.aspx

Mark..

Good suggestion Mark!

It should also be noted that all of these retractable belt options will require modification to the rear passenger side panels or purchase of these:

https://www.partsklassik.com/p-878-s...cover-set.aspx

Good suggestion Mark!

It should also be noted that all of these retractable belt options will require modification to the rear passenger side panels or purchase of these:

https://www.partsklassik.com/p-878-s...cover-set.aspx
    Brent

You really don't need to modify the quarter trim panels, other than to poke a small hole in them for the bolt that mounts the retracter. The covers, sold by Parts Klassik, just cover the retractor and do make for a much nicer installation. I do like their belt kit, too.

Regards

Jim
    PS: The covers are used on Coupes, not Targas

Another option is have SnakeOyl put new belts and inertia using old orig hardware. Works well. Credit to Ed Mayo for this tip.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"