Thread: which battery should i install in my 68 SWT?

which battery should i install in my 68 SWT?

I'm looking for suggestions as to which battery to install in my SWT restoration. Ideally, if you have a manufacturer and a source, I would be appreciative.

The wiring harness has been painstakingly sorted, with each wire checked, tested, wrapped, and strung. Each switch and bulb have been tested. All of the corner lights have been tested and work.

So, we are preparing to put in a battery, install the ignition, and perform a final round of testing.

So which battery do you think is best? (Although originality is always an issue on a collector car, when it comes to a battery, I am far more interested in reliability and performance, but please share your thoughts on originality, too.)

Thank you.

I bought a miata battery for mine at batteries plus. it fits the tray and the cover does nicely as well. I don't take it to any shows, i just enjoy it. I keep it on a tender and the battery has not let me down in almost 6 years.
    Last edited by Jules Dielen; 05-01-2016 at 05:05 PM.

~J~
    air cooled only

I use a group 51 or 51R (I can't remember which) and it fits and starts just fine. You don't need anything more exotic. Here's a thread from 11 years ago when I started figuring this out the first time around. . . (RIP Warren!) http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...imensions.html
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Here's a thread from 11 years ago. . .
    Man, that's an All Star thread. Warren, Grady, Richard, you, and oh yah, that Kenik guy.

im using 8a22nf in both my 67s,i like the fact that they are sealed,i always replace any starting battery after 5 years
    registry #2072

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post
    Man, that's an All Star thread. Warren, Grady, Richard, you, and oh yah, that Kenik guy.
    Warren and Grady were the all-stars. Now they are with the stars. I'm just a punk who reads and regurgitates. Last I heard from Kenik he had seen the error of his hot-rod ways and was planning a restoration of his 69S back to plastic on the seats and a set of 14" gasburners. j/k
    Last edited by 304065; 05-02-2016 at 03:11 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

thank you, everyone. this gives me several options.

we've reached the stage of the project where i am bleeding cash, so i will wait a month before buying, but thanks. this gives me a nice shopping and price comparison list.

When I replaced the battery on my 67 911 I went with a Bosch, they are sold through Pep Boys.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I've seen conflicting information on whether the original battery was 22NF or 22HN. Upfixen der Porsche Vol V, Page 74 (referencing Panorama 11/77) says 22NF fits perfectly.

22NF dimensions are
    Length: 9-3/8 Inch
    Width: 5-1/2 Inch
    Height: 9 Inch

2HN dimensions are
    Length: 10-3/8"
    Width: 7-1/8"
    Height: 9-3/8"

I believe the 22NF is commonly fitted to tractors and golf carts while 2HN was commonly used in pairs in 24 volt military vehicles. At any rate it's not hard to find a battery which will fit.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I think Jim is right, same battery as used in a 56 Chev! Just pay attention to which side the posts are on so your cables line up correctly.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.