Thread: ATE A type caliper for the 3.0 struts including the SWB cars.

ATE A type caliper for the 3.0 struts including the SWB cars.

I have aluminum Alfa GTV6 Brembo's on my 67. Some say the cast iron A caliper works better as it doesn't flex as much. I'm curious and want to test that theory. As I want to keep my SWB front suspension, the SC/Carrera 3.5 A caliper isn't an option. But a E21 BMW 1977 ONLY E320i and Euro 323i is basically a 3.0 bolt pattern ATE A caliper. There are a couple of issues to address. 1. They are almost impossible to find. I couldn't find a drivers side anywhere! I did find 2 passenger side calipers. 2. They use M8 hardware and the S/C and Carrera M10. But I figure a early 80's Euro 323i with a big inline 6 probably weighs a bit more than my 2150 pound Porsche. On the good side you can use M8x65mm 11.9 rated bolts with 1.25 thread in either a regular or hex head. 3. I had to use 2.4 mm wide washers to move the caliper and get the rotor dead center. 18.8 mm on each side of the rotor.
    Now for the interesting part. The 1978 to 1983 E21 320i uses the same caliper without the spacer and they are less than $100 each on ebay (This doesn't apply to the Girling's). The solid rotor calipers seem to be available as there where a bunch of 320i's sold. For those who want to leave the solid rotors on it's almost a bolt on deal. You'll have to make some new hard lines as the routing to the caliper is a little different. For me I just bought a 320i drivers side solid rotor caliper and I'll install the spacers from the extra passenger side caliper.
    I took the spacers to my machinist and he said he can reproduce them. So if some of you want to buy the solid rotor calipers I could provide the spacers. The calipers with the spacers use A caliper pads and rebuild kits. The Alfa and BMW calipers are almost the same but made out of different metals.
    Here are some pictures before I send these off to get zinc plated gold and the bolts black. Also a M pad on top of a A caliper pad.
    Chris
    PS- I'll use ATE rebuild kits as the stuff that came on the calipers was junk. I'll probably buy new stainless steel pistons from PMB also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-A-1-Ca...ZW4Pcm&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-C...ZXIdW7&vxp=mtr
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 05-02-2016 at 06:50 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche