Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I know which rotors to fit on swb 68s

How do I know which rotors to fit on swb 68s

Hello,

I have a 68s and am wondering how I would know whether rear rotors should be vented or solid? Is there a measurement I can make on the rear calipers ? Rotors were solid when I took the car apart.

Many thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Yes, vented rotors and calipers 67S and 68S with spacer and 38mm pistons diameter.

i am re-assembling a 68 'normale' and it had solid rotors, as well. if you removed solid rotors, it is likely that the car came with solid rotors.

if you call PMB, they can help you with measurements.

Since the vented rotors are thicker than the solid rotors you can look for 2 metal spacers sandwiched between the 2 caliper halves to provide the necessary clearance. Converting from solid to vented rotors is not difficult.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  126.3 KB

Spacer on front 7mm
    Spacer on rear 11mm

Are these the correct spacers for vented?

Many thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

The spacers would indicate for vented rotor use as already indicated, plus I believe the rear calipers had a spacer between the caliper and mounting ear. Jim?????
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The spacers would indicate for vented rotor use as already indicated, plus I believe the rear calipers had a spacer between the caliper and mounting ear. Jim?????
    Yes, they did have a thin spacer between the ears on the trailing arm and the caliper.
    67/68 rear "S" or "L" calipers also have 38MM pistons. The regular rear calipers have 35mm pistons.

Regards

Jim

Jim is correct. The larger piston size is deference towards bias for some such reason that I can't remember someone writing about...

Anyway, does anyone have, um, Frank B, some front brackets for the dust/brake covers/shields for the vented rotors (3 bolt pattern)? Must have!

Dan
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

I paid up to get replacement front dust shields, mine were rusted away

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  37.3 KB

And I have the two to one conversion brackets also for fronts but was not aware of spacers at the back. Can someone attach pictures please?
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

A search for 'dog bones' should provide more information.
    Name:  RrBrakeCaliperDogboneWithArm04_800x600.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  153.6 KB