Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage floor covering - Would like your inputs

Garage floor covering - Would like your inputs

I am in the final stage of completing my garage.

The floor is a fresh (new concrete) that has been covered during all the phases of construction. It has never had any grease or oil on it. The floor is heated with radiant heating.

I am in search of recommendations for a flooring seal, covering material, method/system-

1/3 of the floor space will be for mechanical work with a 2-poster lift. 2/3's of the floor space will be for storage. I want a strong durable covering material (epoxy?) with a mild texture for non-slip, but also easily cleaned. I am open to any and all suggestions including cermanci tile although that worries me thinking of a jackstand high pressure in a concentrated area, and finally impact resistant. I would expect basically whatever I drop on the floor (within reason) it isn't going to cause the surface coating to chip.

-I have searched through too many sites with their blogs and "sharing". Kind of daunting ...

Thank you in advance.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

This should be interesting.

I've had some experience and know what I'd do if money were no object. Polish the hell out of it, seal it and call it done. Optionally for even more money, some sort of acid etch finish would be cool too.

Epoxies hold up ok but I've yet to have one that is impervious to tire staining. They chip too.

My "hillbilly hilton" has a smooth finish concrete floor with sealer on it. That's going to do it for now.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Interesting, I have thought about a stain and sealing it. What kind of a seal did you use?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

member #1515
    I've used an italian ceramic tile with epoxy grout. They make them for high load. Very easy to keep clean and it has a rough non slip finish. No refinishing ever as with any coating solution.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I used the Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield. I followed all the prep instructions but after only a couple of years it's chipping and hot tires can lift it no problem. It's cheap and looks pretty good but I'd look at other options, I like the ceramic tile idea.

-Kav.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

epoxy is cheap and if you don't like it, you can easily add tiles later

mine is covered with a rich patina of oil spots dating back a few decades

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    For me polished concrete was cheaper than a pro-epoxy finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like Lowes or Home Depot! Nice.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Here's the sealer and the floor. This is a standard power trowel finish. Polishing is another step.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

So far you have created an awesome platform covering all the bases: radiant heat, lifts and plenty of storage. Lots of garage envy coming your way.

I have done Rustoleum-epoxy , tile, as well as polished concrete in my garages over the years.
    Rustoleum is great for a few years them lifts as others have said. Ceramic tile is amazing and sets you apart from most for the luxury look. But highly polished and etched concrete give you all the best of both with a patina that blends well with the vintage car look. The smoothness will cause less traction which can be solved with the placement of non slip rubber mats to reduce the stress on your legs. I would recommend you turn to a decorative concrete contractor with commercial experience to polish, color and etch to your liking.
    When you are done can you add a photo? I bet it looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    I am in the final stage of completing my garage.

The floor is a fresh (new concrete) that has been covered during all the phases of construction. It has never had any grease or oil on it. The floor is heated with radiant heating.

I am in search of recommendations for a flooring seal, covering material, method/system-

1/3 of the floor space will be for mechanical work with a 2-poster lift. 2/3's of the floor space will be for storage. I want a strong durable covering material (epoxy?) with a mild texture for non-slip, but also easily cleaned. I am open to any and all suggestions including cermanci tile although that worries me thinking of a jackstand high pressure in a concentrated area, and finally impact resistant. I would expect basically whatever I drop on the floor (within reason) it isn't going to cause the surface coating to chip.

-I have searched through too many sites with their blogs and "sharing". Kind of daunting ...

Thank you in advance.