Thread: Carburetor Linkage Lubrication

Unhappy Carburetor Linkage Lubrication

What is the best type of lubricant to use on an early 911 linkage, especially at the ball-type joints ?

Bosch distributor grease.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
    What is the best type of lubricant to use on an early 911 linkage, especially at the ball-type joints ?
    These are low speed, low pressure applications without any thermal concerns.
    Any reasonably viscous grease intended for metal-to-metal contact is fine, including Bosch distributor grease.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I am also interested in this question. Obviously the factory uses a few different types of Optimol greases for different applications, but which one and part number is correct for general grease lubrication. As I head towards re-assembly of my restoration I'm looking for a general, long life, -30 to 120.C grease for window and lock mechanisms, hood and trunk latches, hinges, throttle linkage ball cups etc. . I know the factory uses Optimol TA for the center-lock lug nuts in motorsport applications, and also recommends this for regular wheel lugs, but there is also an Optimol T which sounds a bit more of a general use grease. Any specific experience and or part numbers would be great..Thanks
    1969 911 E #824

Optimoly??

it is an anti-seize - (which acts like a grease)

there is TA, and HT - one is Cu based and the other Al base, tho I forget which

I hate to quasi-disagree with post #2, but I think post #3 is better

I'll also throw out Teflon lube, graphite, or some of the old Mb powder you used for engine rebuilding decades ago and is still sitting around in the garage....
    (these last 3 will not hold abrasive dust particles which will degrade the ball joint after a few centuries)

or... do it right and toss the old joint out and use ceramic on plastic (UHMWPE) ball joints

member #1515
    Moly for the wheel nuts and Wurth HKS100 for inside the door and linkages. PTF (teflon) spray for inside of locks.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I use a high temp silicone brake grease. Mainly because it's easy to reach on my shelf. Just don't use too much. Grease attracts dirt and then you have a grinding compound.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 342
Size:  4.5 KB

Name:  911 Webers w 906 shields.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  83.3 KB

Richard Newton
    Miami Beach Concours