Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attaching chrome under rear targa glass LWB and Tape on glass

attaching chrome under rear targa glass LWB and Tape on glass

reinstalling the chrome trim under the rear Targa glass on a 71. There is a thin, black plastic/rubber seal that goes under the chrome trim that has a very small "bead" on one side. Trying to dertermine if this bead goes on the outside or inside of the chrome trim.? Also, It appears that when I removed the rear Targa glass, there appeared to be a very thin black "tape" attached and running along the entire length (bottom ) of the glass, it ran about 3/4" up both sides.? Was this a factory item.? Has anybody seen this before.? I thought that the glass (naked) just sat in the rubber gasket/seal. Any help on these questions is much appreciated.

The bead goes to the outside. Don't have an answer on the tape, not seen it on the few targa glasses I've done.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thx Ed, yes mystery on the tape deal. Gonna leave it off and just drop the glass into the rubber gasket and mount. Thx again for the clarification on the beading

Ed, one addl question on this seal for the Targa trim. Does the black seal go along the INSIDE edge of the chrome trim pieces (catching the attaching screw holes) or on the OUTSIDE (exposed (in view)edge on outside of car).? looks like the original has it on the inside with hole slots for the screws.? any help appreciated.

If I understand your question correctly the seal has the exposed lip to the outside, and lip is up. Here is picture of mine, is this what you're asking?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Skip the tape, I've never seen that on glass. Anything you can do to make it easier to install the glass is the way to go. Installing targa glass is one of the hardest things to do, if you put all the defrost wires in place it's even harder and that is why most targa rear glass defroster don't work on restored cars. I recommend putting 2 complete pull ropes in the channel, pull the seal into place, if a corner does not fully seat then slap down the glass to get it in position then you have the 2nd pull rope to fix the non seated corner.

The trim base seal is easy, the trim curves down and goes into the rubber that has a slight U channel that faces upward. You may want to put a little trim adhesive on the seal to help hold it in place during install.

Thx for the help Mark, figured it out (beaded lip is on the outside (showing) got it all installed and looks good. The first pieces installed on the road to the Targa glass install. I have read every thread known to man on this, will have my cousin with me (pro auto glass installer) multiple pull lines, dish soap and beer. Gonna clean the glass to day and tape the seal on to it and let it sit for a week or 2. Thx again for the tip

As far as the added joy of stuffing in all the defroster wires in the seal while installing the rear targa glass, does anybody have any pics;

1. Showing all wires installed on glass.?
    2. wires installed in seal.?

Any help appreciated

Hi, I have done this exact job quite a few times now. The wiring needs to be installed into the rubber first and can not be done with the rubber fully fitted. The reason is the main run of the wiring runs in the different rubber cannel inside the rubber. This is so the screen seals properly against the rubber when fitted. If you look at the original rubber (the same with all Coupe rear screens) there are small access holes cut/drilled across the inner channel for each connection (between 15-20mm away from each spade connection on the screen), plus the holes for wiring which exits the rubber which then passes through the holes in the rear parcel shelf. Best test all the wiring first and then mock it up before making the access holes.

If it helps I will grab some pics tomorrow as I have a RHD 73 Targa rear screen on the stand being prepared to be fitted.

HTH

Alan

^^^^grab some pics!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100