Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canepa May '16 Cars & Coffee

Canepa May '16 Cars & Coffee

These great 2nd-Saturday-of-the-month early morning get-to-getters have always started with the April meeting and go through October, after which time the weather just gets much too chancy for an event of this nature to be enjoyable. Last month, on the second Saturday it rained like Hell across the Bay area and folks, including yours truly stayed away in droves, but certainly made up for it this past Saturday.

I'm sorry to be so late in posting this, but my wife, who accompanied me the first time ever to one of these affairs, and I continued down the coast for a much needed R&R bed & Breakfast weekend given the splendid weather recently.

Great turnout, interesting cars everywhere ( please see my other post in the "Other cars" forum ) it was a genuine pleasure to see old friends and acquaintances and more or less get the season off to a fine start this year.

As always, I'll try to answer any questions you may have .............if I can.

__________________________________________________ __________

On a more personal note, and please do not misinterpret this as bragging because that is certainly not my intent, but to explain why some of the following photos may look a little different than my past & previous offerings, I'm working with a brand-new camera / lens combo which is as far from what I've been using for more than the past 40 years than you can get nowadays - I've switched from using my trusty, fully manual ( including manual rangefinder focusing ) digital Leica M-P 240 with the collection of several fixed focal length lenses which I've accumulated over the past 30 years to Leica's latest digital full-frame offering.....the "mirrorless" SL 601 body and their remarkable 24-90mm APO - ASPH. f2.8 - 4.0 auto focus, optically stabilized zoom Vario-Elmarit lens. Since the SL uses a slightly different bayonet fitting than the M, I've also purchased the Leica-made M adapter, which enables the SL user to use almost all manual M lenses on the SL with incrdeible results, but of course without the automation offered by the SL dedicated lens. For financial rerasons ( good, used Leica lenses hold their value to an astonishing degree ) I have kept all my M lenses. Thus, I see the new camera really presenting the best of all worlds..........the customary unique Leica image quality of the highly developed, superb and fast but small. light & fully manual Leica lenses originally designed for the M when that's the appropriate choice for the subject, and the equally sensational new, auto-focus, automated and motion-stabilized SL zoom lens(es). Later this year, the range of SL lenses is to be expanded with what Leica promises to be the 'world's best' 50mm f1.4 fixed focal length auto-focus lens, and to continue the progression to longer telephotos, a f2.8 - 4, 90 - 280mm APO-ASPH lens, available now in limited quantities, which is just what I've wanted for track and motorsports photography. My new SL 'system' should be complete and I should be much more familiar with it by the time the Monterey Historics roll around later this year.

The above changes in photo gear, combined with the installation of the latest Apple El Capitan software and Adobe's latest version of Lightroom processing software ( included with the purchase of the Leica camera ) on my Apple computer have been a big change in my photo workflow and will undoubtedly result in delays, screw-ups, mistakes and probably some questionable, less than presentable images, but all in all, I firmly believe the overall result will be better images that come closer to realizing my vision than what I've been using. I didn't embark on this change in school of thought lightly or on a whim, rather, gave it a lot of deep thought and have concluded that the new gear, incorporating the latest in technology ( the high ISO performance in marginal light conditions is particularly noteworthy ) will be for me a more suitable, appropriate and effective way to capture the many aspects of the collector / vintage car hobby that I passionately love and want to continue recording in my own way until the day I drop.

As you can imagine, the learning curve has been rocky and exceedingly steep, while also very rewarding, since in an environment such as at Canepa's for instance, where cars and people pop in and out without much time to compose, focus and set all the other important parameters, the highly automated new body / lens combo allows me to enter what has previously been for me inaccessible territory.

All very exiting and interesting...............can't wait until the second week in August.

Thanks for looking,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 05-24-2016 at 02:04 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to get the site to let me post all the selected photos in the order I want to post them, rather than let the site selct the order in which it insists on presenting the images.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

continuing, starting with the remainder of the images of the British-made, superb D-Jag recreation

Pressing on with 5 more images from the parking lot and the visitor parking area, which among many treasures contained the one V-8 era Ferrari I consider worthwhile and a masterpiece..........the wonderful, raw, fast & almost beautiful 288 GTO - probably the last "bargain" Maranello car.

Moving into the showroom, where crowding and cars very closely parked to each other made photography a fairly difficult proposition - these two are not the same Vtper Green 911, with the second image showing a 100% original '73 model with documented 72,000 miles on the clock......the price reflects the car's provenance.

The last three photos start to show some of the ongoing projects in the shop, which, in my view is the real reason I attend the Canepa Open House.

.........continuing withy the 'shop tour'.

Another set from the busy, supremely well organized and immaculately clean shop area.

The last from the shop area, starting opff with the freshly reconditioned 962 tub, which, incidentally, probably wouldn't look at all out of place as a premier special exhibit in any Museum of Modern Art anywhere in the world, and continuing into the gated & fenced parking area in the back of the shops, where customers can pick up their restored / refurbished cars or new purchases and where projects are received, checked in & catalogued.

The recently completed Arctic White and Blue RS bears serial #1291.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 05-16-2016 at 09:54 AM.

another set from the area outside the shops, as well as some random shots of the parking lot.

As always John, GREAT eye for photography. Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

GREAT shoot's John........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88