Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Advice for Re-Gluing the Aluminum Fascia on a '68 Dash?

Any Advice for Re-Gluing the Aluminum Fascia on a '68 Dash?

The brushed aluminum fascia on my '68 dash came loose on a couple of ends, so I'm seeking wisdom ... again ...

Does anyone have a recommendation of a correct adhesive to re-glue the fascia?

Is there any trick to get it flat? I was thinking that I would glue it, and then clamp, it with a wood strip while it dries to make sure it is flat and doesn't move, but if you have other advice I am interested.

Thank you.

Shift Knob Maker
    The aluminum to the dash? Double stick emblem tape. Vinyl to the aluminum? Contact adhesive.

Mark..

3M and it comes in various widths. Can be found in any auto parts store or order off Amazon.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

never thought of tape. doesn't it's thickness leave distortions in the surface?

member #1515
    The tape goes on the back of the aluminum plates, not under the vinyl
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

is the thickness of the tape important? (the stuff at autozone seemed pretty thick.)

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I found some thin tape at my local friendly Ace hdw. I think it was called carpet tape.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

You're exactly right. Plus, they make that tape in widths of about 2" wide, so if one wanted, the entire backside of the trim could be covered. Perfect. I use that stuff all the time, for many applications and it's great.
    Steve Meltsner

to Edmayo and Jetjok, Yes, I have the carpet tape and it has certain benefits. I was a bit concerned about using carpet tape because it usually requires heat, as well, but it could be a good answer.

to sithot, i had found 3M links similar to the one you offered, but if i am reading the information correctly, they range as thick as 60 mils, which would seem to be too thick for a dash application.

don't get me wrong. 2-sided tape seems like a great idea. I'm just trying to re-attach the fascia while avoiding making a different problem.