Thread: Visiting Porsche museum/workshop?

Visiting Porsche museum/workshop?

Hi all,
    I'm travelling to Germany in mid July and am planning to visit the main Porsche museum, is there anyway of getting a tour of the classic workshops? I'm a mechanic by trade and find the cars as works in progress far more interesting than cars on display.

Also any tips on how to get the most out of a trip to the Nurburgring? We will only have a crappy rental for travelling, but I have seen some of the track drive type rental places at the ring. Any recommendations for a good one?

Any other must dos in southern Germany? - we fly out of Munich.

Thanks for your help,
    Regards
    Reuben

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben L View Post
    Any other must dos in southern Germany? - we fly out of Munich.
    You should visit the Mercedes Museum when you're in Stuttgart.
    How much time do you have? The region between Munich and the alps is a place to enjoy - nice roads good food.
    The Museum workshop is right at the museum - you can look through the windows into the shop.
    I don't know if the the Classic workshop in Freiberg/Neckar offers tours.
    If you travel from Stuttgart to the Ring don't drive Autobahn (except your rental has 300hp+) take a trip through scenic Pfalz and France - I can give you some recommendations on a route.

Cheers

Uli

This was a nice 964 rental car in 1991 that was located at the Stuttgart airport. As Uli recommended you need to go thru the Mercedes Museum.

You need to contact PCA to set up your tours within Porsche facility.

Mercedes Museum

Porsche Museum

Last edited by Curt Hammill; 05-22-2016 at 06:18 PM.

If you are in Nui Ulm between Stuttgart and Munich visit Old Timer Fabrique a 400,000 sq ft restoration center and home of the Gum Ball valley called Donue Masters 100 classic cars from Ulm to Budapest its fun

I rented a mighty Renault Clio from www.rentaracecar.com for two laps on the 'Ring last June. Was great fun and (somewhat) affordable. Be careful about what you drive there. Most, if not all, normal car rentals do not allow their use on the 'Ring, but I suspect many do it. But if you should have any kind of incident, you may find yourself in a heap of trouble.
    Harry
    Early 911s Registry Member # 3046
    1970 911T w/3.2L
    R Gruppe # 780
    2003 Boxster S
    2007 997.1 GT3
    2018 Macan S

Nordschleife

Hi Reuben,

As for Nordschleife, I would recommend riding with a pro-driver in a 991 GT3. Getting the full effect of the Nordschleife at speed while getting a history lesson and having the driver call out his line, is really something special. Don’t have a big breakfast. There are defiantly options for renting at the track. However, driving an unfamiliar track, (XBOX doesn’t count) in an unfamiliar car, with lots of potential traffic, not as much fun. I would also plan some time to take some pictures at viewing spots around the track. Just ask when you are there, someone will recommend the best spots.

Ringtaxi.de is the website. Below is a pic of the driver. I forgot his name, but would recommend getting him ….. if you dare. He is very fast.

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks all for your input!
    Yes the Mercedes museum is on the list for sure.

Thanks for the tips regarding the 'ring. Not planning on taking our rental (Peugeot 508 SW) out on the track. The ring taxi looks like the way to enjoy it.

I will google old timer fabrique, thanks for the tip.

Trying figure out if I can squeeze Le Mans Classic in there too but have to keep the better half happy also.

if you work at a dealership, maybe you can work via that chain for an insider's tour

or figure out where the factory workers hang out for bier and visit there to chat people up

Get a burger and a beer at Udo's Imbiss down the street from the museum. That's where the blue collar guys go for lunch.

What you might not be prepared for is the beauty and scenery around Nurburg. The local roads and surrounding towns are really quite charming. Most weekdays are manufacturers pool test days 9-5. Weekends are CRAZY. Check this schedule or others and check the date for "Rock the Ring". I am envious. I love it there.
    http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/calendar.php