Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim Advice

Trim Advice

Gents,
    As I near the end of my 3 years journey to restore my '73 Targa I need some advice about replacement trim. Most of the original trim that came with my basket case is crap. Some of the larger items, might be saved by "Kings of Trim", but I think if there is OEM or aftermarket trim available, it would be cheaper and easier. My question is this, Which pieces can be replaced with new that will fit and look good and where can I get them? I see there is a lot of places to buy trim.

Thanks again.

This is what it looked like on day 1, 3 years ago.

GregName:  IMG_0507.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  104.8 KB
    Last edited by gkahrs; 05-26-2016 at 05:12 AM.

Greg,

Which trim are you looking for advice on? Bumper, rocker, window? Maybe all... Also which trim are you putting on the car , "S" or plain Jane?
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Good Question.
    It is a base S model w/o wheel well trim. Both rear and front bumper trim is trashed (BTW - not putting the baby bumpers back on the front), rocker moldings are marginal, needs new step threshold plates. Front and rear windshield molding may be reusable. Headlight chrome is actually fine and the thin modeling that goes along the top of the doors are okay. Rear bumperettes have been restored (more or less - they were black metal originally, I think, and are now powder coated vs. the original black plastic like material).

Here is the most recent photo:

Name:  IMG_2931.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  81.7 KB
    Last edited by gkahrs; 05-26-2016 at 05:22 AM.

member #1515
    Stoddard should have most of it
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks, I see AASE has a lot of stuff. Any thoughts on their parts?
    BTW - I'd love to see pics of your Targa. My motor was rebuilt as a 2.7 RS specs as well. Are you happy with that set up?

FWIW, I have bought a lot of trim parts from Stoddards and they list "Porsche" parts and there own repro parts with different part #'s. I needed full set of windshield trim parts for my 914-6 and they did not have one of the long pieces in "Porsche" brand so I asked the parts guy will they match, guess what, he told me it was the same Manufacturer. Received the parts and the so called repro part was dead nuts on for half the price! The trim fit pieces were a perfect fit.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by gkahrs View Post
    Thanks, I see AASE has a lot of stuff. Any thoughts on their parts?
    BTW - I'd love to see pics of your Targa. My motor was rebuilt as a 2.7 RS specs as well. Are you happy with that set up?
    You'll love the motor. Big difference from the original 2.4S, hope you stayed with MFI. Very responsive.
    What P&C did you use?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

If there is any possible way to repair and replate your bumper decos I would do so, If not just understand that the repro parts just don't have the right curvature, you'll have to bend and curse. Also the profile behind the deco is too wide, for that we use 356 deco profile. Just assume that anything repro won't fit like original,,,,,except of course for Eric's stuff Also the insert into the bumper beading does't have the correct outer shape, at last purchase these were still available from Porsche,,,,,but that profile doesn't fit well in the repro decos!! It's a jungle out there
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

It will be MFI. Excuse my ignorance - P&C means what?

Thanks Ed. BTW - I would like to bring the car down from Wichita to have you guys do the final mechanical inspection and tune the MFI.