Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 911 oil cap issue

72 911 oil cap issue

I don't have a 72 911 to reference and am asking if one of you would post a pic of oil cap. I have ordered the correct cap but won't clear the dip stick. Should the dipstick just float in the tank until it is used to check the level?
    Sometimes I really feel I'm losing it.
    Best to all,
    Rusty

The dipstick slides into a specific slot below the opening. It does not float.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Here are a couple of pics of how the dipstick sits below the oil cap on my 72T:

Name:  oil-1.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  71.1 KBName:  oil-3.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  65.5 KB
    Tom Casey
    1959D • 1972T • 2018T

Tom, does the finger loop below the rim for the oil cap. We just can't get it to clear the loop. In the first photo is dipstick still in the slot to check the level?
    thanks,
    rusty

Rusty, For reference my loop is 20.5mm below the top edge of the cap flange.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

Rusty-

The dipstick is fully inserted (as if you were checking the oil level) in the first picture. The top of the ring to pull out the dipstick sits about 1/8" below the top of the opening. Here are a couple of more pictures including what the dipstick and cap look like. Hope this helps.

Name:  oil-5.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  60.1 KBName:  oil-6.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  184.9 KB
    Tom Casey
    1959D • 1972T • 2018T

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Sometimes there is an edge on the stick where it is folded over, it might have to be flexed hard to get it to slip in to the pipe and drop in all the way. G. Never mind new view of stick has no edge.

Okay, the issue is that the stick protrudes above the rim of the opening. This helps a lot, our issue is with the tank.
    Thanks again,
    Rusty

I get the impression that all this has worked for years, and now suddenly with a new cap the stick is too high??? Doesn't make sense??
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, just the opposite, I purchased the car some time ago and the dipstick was in the door pocket. Had an audi oil cap. Have never gotten a cap to fit. I agree that it doesn't make sense.

Rusty