Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock change on door handle

Lock change on door handle

Have a new outter door handle coming this week. Can is simple change the lock mechanisms from the original handle to the new one or is it more complicated?

Shift Knob Maker
    If you changing like for like handles, than yes it can be done and is pretty simple.

Mark..

Mark-

Yes, both handles are "innies".

Ned

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    There are a lot of little parts and springs. You might want to snap a cell phone picture before you start so you can get everything back together correctly.

The worst part will be getting the armrest back in place.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    There are a lot of little parts and springs. You might want to snap a cell phone picture before you start so you can get everything back together correctly.

This is so true. In fact, yesterday I received a new lock cylinder for my 72 from Porsche. When I opened the box to examine my new purchase I unknowingly pulled the key out of the cylinder. Oops, about 6 (out of 10) springs and little tabs dropped out on my desk. I need a magnifier to see the tiny numbers embossed in the tabs, and even with that, I think its trial and error to get them in the proper order!
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post

Actually, they are very simple to change and can be done in a minute or two. OK, I've done a few hundred of them and I can do them in a minute. It may take a rookie 2 or 3 minutes. The key (pun intended) is to put the key in the lock before removing it from the handle. The key holds all the tumblers in place. You can shoot yourself in the foot by removing the lock cylinder without a key in it when all the tumblers fall out. A quick look at the pictures of an "innie" will give you a good idea of the task at hand.

Picture # 1 shows the lever the spring the screw and the lock cylinder. Those are all the parts
    Picture # 2 shows the handle completely assembled
    Picture # 3 shows the handle with the guts removed.

This is just the same for a "outie" handle

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Jim- Assume all the springs and tumbler discs are out . Whats the procedure for re-assembly? Do you insert the key all the way, then back it out to fit the first tumbler & spring in, then repeat X10? I assume "fit" means the end of the tumbler doesn't stick out. Thx

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Jim- Assume all the springs and tumbler discs are out . Whats the procedure for re-assembly? Do you insert the key all the way, then back it out to fit the first tumbler & spring in, then repeat X10? I assume "fit" means the end of the tumbler doesn't stick out. Thx

Nick
    Beats the sh^t outame. Once the tumblers are out of the lock cylinder, I just throw up my hands and look for a Pliny The Elder. Great meeting you in Palm Springs!

Regards

Jim

Jim, same...good hanging with you.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Handle didn't come with a key but I was able to get one in to remove the lock. When I slide the lock from the original handle in the new one the key won't turn. Any ideas?