Thread: removing dash pad 71 Targa

removing dash pad 71 Targa

Have a pretty nice original dash pad on my 71 Targa (only has the little obligatory crack between the speaker and vent, otherwise no blemishes at all). Doing a resto on the car, windshield is out, and I figured maybe a good time to pull it and tune up the dash and repaint the defroster vents.
    Any tips on pulling it without damaging it, and reinstalling.? Thx in advance

Main tip is to have bendable arms and wrists as some of those nuts are bloody hard to get to.

If all the heater boxes are out your job is way easier.

Dash usually comes out pretty easy after releasing the plastic pins along the top of the dash that push into place upon inatallation
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

In my opinion, you are just asking for trouble pulling the dash. At best, you are likely to break or pull out one of the mounting bolts, and worse, you could cause the dash to crack further. If you have significant metal work to do around the window, then perhaps it would make sense. So unless you REALLY need to pull it, I would leave it. You can pull the defroster vent covers off, and paint the defroster vents without pulling the dash.

IF you do decide to pull it, make sure you know where ALL the mounting points are so you can make sure you get them free before pulling. First time I pulled my dash I missed the two behind the speedometer and Tach. Didn't matter, because the dash was destined for the rubbish bin.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Thx very much, just wanted to pull the cap to get to the defroster vents. If you are saying you can get them out without yanking the dash pad, then it will stay. Any tips/advice on getting the vents out.? Thanks again for the heads up

just a bump on this question, the metal vents can be pulled right out of the top of the dash without removing the dash pad itself.? No front windshield in currently, so I have easy access. Any tips appreciated

The plastic vent covers come off. The metal vent's do not as they are part of the dash structure.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Thx for the info