Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road trip from San Diego to Colorado

Road trip from San Diego to Colorado

So, it looks like I'll be picking up a car in San Diego area sometime in the near future. I was all set on getting it shipped, when a buddy asked why I wasn't going to drive it back?

"It's easier, faster, safer, possibly cheaper" all seem like good reasons - but how many times do you get to road trip across the country for fun?

I guess I'm looking for recommendations for the route and stops that shouldn't be missed. I don't want to take a week to do it, but don't mind stretching it out for 3 days or so if needed.

I'd much prefer twisty 2 lane over interstate for much of it, if possible. I think if I pack some tools and spares in my luggage I will be sure to have a good time with TSA on the flight out...

While in San Diego County

Check Google Maps or your favorite GPS app to visualize these directions.

From I-8 east of City of San Diego:
    Either CA Hwy 79 North or County S1 Sunrise Hwy North to 79 North through Julian. Follow 79 north through SD County.

Side trip: North of Santa Ysabel on 79, left on Mesa Grande Road to CA Hwy 76.
    Turn left (west) on 76 to the S6 South Grade Road (right turn) up to Palomar Mountain.
    Turn right onto S7 East Grade Road back down to 76, turn left back to Hwy 79. Left turn to continue on 79 north.

After crossing into Riverside County on 79, turn right onto CA Hwy 131 Cahuilla Road to CA Hwy 74.
    Right on 74 takes you on the Pines to Palms Hwy to the Palm Springs area and I-10.
    Left on 74 takes you to CA Hwy 243 (north) to Idyllwild on the "Banning to Idyllwild Panoramic Hwy" and eventually to I-10 at Banning.
    Last edited by DOUGS73E; 06-08-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Spot on Doug, great SD to the desert route!
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Thanks guys - I've got a route I think I like on Google maps, but can't save it.

Print it out on paper?

Thanks - I did just that, so I wouldn't lose it. Also sent it to a google email I have, but haven't checked it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by greggearhead View Post
    I think if I pack some tools and spares in my luggage I will be sure to have a good time with TSA on the flight out...
    If you want to avoid the Security Theater delay/hassle, you can FedEx that stuff to tour destination.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Heh heh. Yeah, I was actually planning on that - I've done it before when traveling a lot for sales training and such, shipping materials instead of checking them when the baggage fees started climbing years ago. Plus, I'd hate to try and explain to a TSA rep what a multimeter with wire leads are, and the duct tape and such. Likely get me a private room with one of them...

Teaser pic revealing some of the reason I'm excited to drive it back...

Just remember that it will be pretty toasty on the first part of that route so you may want to think morning drive, snooze, evening drive.