Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a relay to install new headlights?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Do I need a relay to install new headlights?

I am about to replace Sugar Scoop headlights
    with Euro-style lights simply because I prefer
    the more streamline look. Will I need to change the
    connectors or install a relay on my 1970 911T?
    Don
    1970 911T
    2006 Cayman S

member #1515
    Yes two relays, one for high beams one for low beams.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    Why doesn't the Peter Morgan YouTube clip on
    installing euro-style H4s mention relays?
    Don
    1970 911T
    2006 Cayman S

Not necessary. The weren't delivered with relays. But if you want to use higher wattage bulbs, you want to use relays. But for the stock 55w, not needed.
    Registry #3026
    '71 911 T
    www.klassieke911912.nl

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    RELAYS

I strongly recommend you add relays! Even if you're not going to higher wattage bulbs your headlight switch and high-low beam switch are getting old and they're expensive. It's time to spare them high currents in their old age so they can last longer.

CONNECTORS

You didn't say what kind of Euro-style lights you intend to use. They all use the same connector configuration as sealed beams.

H1 headlights are the "correct" Euro-style headlights for your car but they're rare and expensive. H1s have the connector on the bottom:

Name:  new-bulb-holder_1.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  H1_Connector.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  76.4 KB

You might need to change headlight connectors if there's a problem fitting your current connector in this position.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

old softie67S
    Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    RELAYS

I strongly recommend you add relays! Even if you're not going to higher wattage bulbs your headlight switch and high-low beam switch are getting old and they're expensive. It's time to spare them high currents in their old age so they can last longer.

CONNECTORS

You didn't say what kind of Euro-style lights you intend to use. They all use the same connector configuration as sealed beams.

H1 headlights are the "correct" Euro-style headlights for your car but they're rare and expensive. H1s have the connector on the bottom:

Name:  new-bulb-holder_1.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  H1_Connector.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  76.4 KB

You might need to change headlight connectors if there's a problem fitting your current connector in this position.
    This is golden advice, The less current through the switch the better.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Is there a thread that shows how this relay installation should be routed. Do the relays go by the fuse panel on a long hood or under the dash?
    Bob B

I recently added the headlight relays from JWest Engineering when I switched my headlights over to H1s. The relays connect in at the fuse panel. Easy to install - took about 15 minutes. Here's a link: Early 911 Headlight Relay Kit (65-73)
    Tom Casey
    1959D • 1972T • 2018T

Adding relays is a modification so there's no "official Porsche" way to do it.

When I added relays to my 911 circa 1968 I built a little box and put Hella relays in it with wires running to the fuse box. I kept the original fuses in the circuit. On a '65 (I'm less sure of the LWB cars) the fusebox is on the trunk floor slightly forward of the pedals. The box I built sits in the left rear corner of the trunk.

When I put H4s in my 356A it was possible to buy Hella relays with fuses.

Name:  41yo-KDFRZL.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  22.3 KB

I put two fused relays in each of the 356A's headlight buckets and ran power directly from the battery with 8 gauge wires. The extra black wires aren't very obvious in the trunk. Were I to do it again I'd use 10 gauge wire which is more than adequate; the 8 gauge wire was bulky and harder to work with.

A lot of Porsche 356s use headlight relay kits from Joe Leoni--they're sold by Blocks Books.

With 6 volt electrics, 356s suffer from dim headlights, hence the interest in adding H4s and relays. My 356A has real good headlights thanks to its Cibié lights and Hella relays.

The Joe Leoni relays are designed for easy installation and come with instructions but they're clearly visible on top of the fuse box. I've spent my career in [aerospace] systems engineering and software engineering but I have electrical engineering degrees so I was inclined to go my own way. When I did my 356A I think I wired each relay wrong at least once. But hey, it was getting late and the light wasn't very good.

Other 911s

I don't know of anyone offering a relay kit for early 911s. Maybe the Audette Collection will add a product line.

I like hiding relays in the headlight buckets--they're out of the way and you only need to remove one screw to get at them. But, that won't work for the foglights.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 07-24-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

I hadn't heard about the JWest kit. It should work.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe