Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 Euro 911T questions

1968 Euro 911T questions

We have a euro '68 911T Targa that will be going under the resto knife soon. Haven't been able to find (yet) a definitive source of accurate info on these vs the US cars, other than the side markers. It appears the car came with back seats. We have a US delivered '68 912 SWT that came with the rear seat delete. I am under the impression that it was originally a SWT as the COA, nor Kardex does not list a rear window, which I believe would have been a special ordered option in '68. I remember reading somewhere that the US market SWT's had to have the rear seats eliminated for safety reasons. Did Porsche install rear seats in ROW SWT's? The rear glass is a double stage defrost whereas our US delivered '69E is a single stage defrost window, and is listed as such on the COA. I'm "assuming" that it was converted to glass. Not only that, somewhere in it's hard life the T-bar was changed to a vented one and the trim pieces lost, or thrown away. Other than the obvious (gauges) are there any other differences to be aware of? If the brain trust can direct me to a source for education on this, please school me. Thanks!

68 what a wonderful year
    As standard all 911 had the soft window unless stated in the coa
    Even if the targa bar cover was changed they are dimensionaly the same
    The softie have a special additional molding at the base of the targa bar cover
    If the head liner liners had pockets thats a softie
    Look for
    Same goes for rear seat all 911 had them unless specified
    All 912 also had soft window unless otherwise specified
    All 912 has rear seat delete unless specified

As for the glass not sure if ine stage or two but the swb rear targa glass had vertical lines

All 69 had a hard glass unlesd specified
    now on the road 914-6
    now in the shop for concourse resto 11850275 S SWT
    daily driver B8 S4 stage 2

Here's a 1968 price list from my dads business, I think it was early in 1968, this particular version isn't dated. Not much help for the questions you're asking, but does show the breadth of models and options in 1968. There's more information on the 912's out on the 912 Registry, and plenty of previous threads here with more information. The rear seat delete would probably indicate that it was a soft window.

I've got a USA 68 912 soft window with rear seats. A lot of changes happened in 1968, both at the beginning of the model year, and January 1 1968 with new USA rules going into affect. I've got some very old documentation (a letter to my dad from the EPA back in the day) that says that EPA was 1968 model year, but we know that DOT rules were changing during the model year.
    I've also got a Euro 911L with option 9552. It was an "individual entry" into Canada, and then was driven across the border into the USA "new" in 1968, but came without headrests. The car did get USA lights and lenses, seat belts and MPH speedo.

January 1968 DOT rules certainly affected seat belts, headrests, front and rear lighting etc., at least from my memory.

Have fun!

E
    Last edited by Soterik; 12-15-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks freezing14 and Eric,

So, in other words, there really isn't a definitive answer due to so much being in flux. I'm guessing (that's all I can really do here) is that whoever changed out the T-bar must have replaced the headliner too, as it has no hand pockets? Our 912 does.

Eric, it's amazing your pop saved all that paperwork over the decades. We here are ALL so glad he did and your willingness to share with this community. Thanks for a copy of the letter.

FWIW, our car was built 12/15/67. So, a mid-year '68.

Freezing, my wife's DD is an '08 S4 Avant. We LOVE that thing! Great pooch hauler She won't let me stage it tho

Thanks so far!

1968 ROW model line

N2M

There seems to be much confusion over the 1968 ROW 911 models but the answers are simple once you have the 'white' 1968 brochure to study.

here tis -

https://www.motorbookworld.com.au/me.../4/2/42331.jpg

Leaving the option lists alone,the model differentiation is -

the 912 and the 911 T had the same base trim,the essential difference was the 912 had the ex 356 motor and the 911 T had the new 110 hp motor.
    the 911 L and the 911 S had the better trim level - known as S trim - and the 911 L had the 130 hp motor and the 911 S had the 180 hp S motor and a rear sway bar.

I believe the rear targa window was soft in 1967,soft with a hard window option in 1968 and the rear window heat wires appeared in 1969 with the alternator upgrade.
    The rear seats would have been standard with a delete option on all models.

If you are into the '68 ROW models,you must have this de luxe brochure otherwise you will be chasing your tail !

HTH
    Dennis
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Dennis, got a picture of the column stalks in that brochure. ? Chromed or Black...?

Thanks Dennis!

"the 911 L and the 911 S had the better trim level - known as S trim"

I thought this only pertains to the US cars that the ROW 911L were trimed the same as a 911T.

Joe
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by joegt3cup View Post
    "the 911 L and the 911 S had the better trim level - known as S trim"

I thought this only pertains to the US cars that the ROW 911L were trimed the same as a 911T.

Joe
    If you read down on the price list, the 4th one down (911L) under "specifications by model", it says the interior was like a US L. My Euro L has the aluminum trim on the door tops, the dash, and has velour carpeting. Door panels and dash are basketweave. Headliner is the heavy textured "elephant" material. It also has vented discs. From pictures when new it had 911T bumper deco and no rubber on the front guards.

Here's a link to the earliest 911T targa that I've come across

http://www.2040-cars.com/porsche/911...-speed-479930/

The 1968s had a number of running changes. Your car should have the earlier style seats and a rear deck lid with no center bar based on the data that is summarized here

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...142#post847142

Good luck with your restoration,
    Eric