Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Fill tube, do I have the right one.?

Oil Fill tube, do I have the right one.?

I needed an oil fill tube for my 71T, picked one up, but don't know if it is correct for a 71. Couple of observations;

1. the dipstick tube extends 9" from the bottom of the large pipe- don't know if that is correct length for a 71.?
    2. the dipstick tube "bottoms out" against the bottom of the oil tank before the large pipe and tank come together (it is the original 71 tank)
    3. I assume the large fill pipe tube is to fit "inside" the pipe on the tank to be joined by the rubber coupling.?
    4. I believe I have the fill cap and vent hose stub are "orientated" correctly

If anybody has any expertise on these, I'm all ears. If anybody has pics of a correct (for a 71) oil fill tube they can post (to compare to mine) would be much appreciated. I have some pics attached of the one I'm trying to install here. Thx for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images   

36 year PCA member
    The tube for the dipstick could be bent, easy to bend tube. I do not believe the oil filler fits inside the oil tank, the rubber that came with the filler tube with clamps should fit on the tube that sticks out of tank and around filler tube, again I do not think that there is a male/female fit at the tank? The orientation of the filler tube as shown looks correct in photo, the tube that sticks out should face to the firewall and connect to aircleaner for crankcase breathing.

Thx Steve, the problem I'm having is that when the tube is orientated correctly, the tube points towards the back of the car, no where near pointing to the firewall. From pics I've been able to google up on riginla 69-71 tubes, it looks as if there is a shorter dipstick tube, and a shorter vent hose bung on the tube itself. If anybody has a pic of a 69-71 accurate tube, please post, much appreciated

this is intriguing. it certainly won't be the first time i have learned that there are small but important differences between parts that serve the same end. now i have to go and check my oil filler necks.

Here is mine out of s '71 911E. No idea if it original or not. Third pic is the tube connector.

Seafeye, it looks as if the dipstick tube is much shorter on yours, than mine, Yours also looks to have a slight "step" on the bottom of the large tube, mine has no step.? can you measure the length of the dipstick tube and grab a pic of the bottom of the large tube (where the dipstick tube/bracket should be welded on) Thx for digging up pics. Mshaver, if you have known 69, 70 71 original tubes for sale, let me know. Thx again folks

I hope this helps. My dipstick doesn't protrude through the bottom of the tube. I think it makes it useless. I could be wrong.

Sea, thx again. It definitely looks as if your dipstick tube is shorter by an 1.5" at least. It may be possible that I cans till use this, but would have to cut the tube. Looking for pics of the following if anybody has them;

1. Pics of the actual tube installed on the tank. Does it slip inside the tank pipe.?
    2. Pics of the correct dipstick protruding through end of dipstick tube.? (trying to determine proper length to get accurate oil tank reading via diptstick)

Thanks

Here is the setup as it was removed from my car. The dipstick does not protrude out the bottom of the guide tube. You can see where the dirt ends and begins is where the hose slides up to.

36 year PCA member
    I would say Jim to just cut the tube. Remember that these are dry sump engines that hold a lot of oil and you should have a dual gauge that shows capacity of oil tank anyway. I don't believe you can over fill a dry sump compared to a wet sump which can be over filled.