Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luggage compartment lights/correct hood

Luggage compartment lights/correct hood 70?

IŽve gone through the documentation of my car (911E ,1970) and noted that the front hood has been replaced along the way. From the outside it looks and fits correct. But when I inspected the inside of the hood a little closer, I noticed that there is only one luggage compartment light (on the passenger side). On the driver side its more like an imprint or template stamped in the metal, but is not pre-drilled. IŽve been looking around at pictures on the forum and found that it changed from two to one at some point. I wonder if someone can tell me if a 1970 should have one or to luggage compartment lights? If the hood is a later model, the next question is whether it is worth trying to assemble a light on the driver side or if it is best to hunt out the 'right' hood? Is there any other differences except the luggage compartment lights?

Best Nick
    Last edited by Nicklasliljegren; 07-01-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Through D Series (1971 MY) there were two luggage compartment lights. At the E and F Series (1972/1973 MY) was when the change over from two to one luggage compartment light occurred.
    I have no recommendation for retrofitting newer single light hoods with two luggage compartment lights.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Doug,
    Thanks for the answer, but it was not the one I was hopeing for I've just repainted the hood
    Any one tried to retrofit an extra light on a later hood?

Best Nick

You mean like this? I added this one, borrowed from a scrap hood.

Name:  DSCN2456.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  50.0 KB
    Last edited by CarmelSkip; 07-04-2016 at 02:13 PM.

I personally wouldn't attempt it. I doubt you'll get a clean looking opening. Other hoods are available periodically.

Replacement hoods all have the single light. You can add another light by cutting the hole, most of it gets covered up by the plastic light assy, still not perfect as the original was a stamped hole.

I have a replacement hood with the only one luggage light. My car, MY 1968, was repaired at the dealer body shop in 1971, and the hood was replaced. I consider it part of the history of the car so it doesn't bother. I don't think finding a replacement with the added hole would be too difficult but I would not try and cut out the hole IMO.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP242B has very good pieces and original hoods don't seem to be all that rare as stated above.
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

Hi, can you post a photo of what the blanked-off hood light looks like? I am curious as I have the opposite problem. Maybe we can just exchange hoods!

Dario
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

Dario,

IŽll snap a picture of the hood tomorrow and post it.

To the rest. As always thanks for the good input. I love this forum. IŽwont try to cut a hole by myself, but for a good tinsmith it should be doable. If I thought it was a newer replacment hood I wouldnŽt hesitate giving it a try. But in this case I would prefere to find a hood with two holes instead of start cutting the one I have, and let this one go to a car looking for a hood with a single hole. But I dont think it will be easy to find a old one in good condition, especially not at least in Sweden Most hoods that pop up for sale seems to need a ton of work, dents and rust. I already have a complete set of luggage compartment lights and the correct harness. At least thats a start.

Best Nick
    Last edited by Nicklasliljegren; 07-04-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Florio View Post
    Hi, can you post a photo of what the blanked-off hood light looks like? I am curious as I have the opposite problem. Maybe we can just exchange hoods!

Dario
    '73 MY driver's side blanked-off hood light . . .

Name:  0704161320.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  24.0 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548