Thread: Torsion Bars

Torsion Bars

When I allowed an idiot to redo my udercarriage on my 912, he put in 28mm and 22 mm torsion bars. Eventually had the car trucked to Bob Fox in Ambler, PA. He tried to set the car up and adjust the ride height. He was unable to do so and thus pulled the torsion bars. Turned out to be the wrong size so I had to buy replacements. He was also doing the engine so these bars have never be driven on. Looks like 22mm (1822) and 28mm (1128). Sway A Way brand. I don't know how to tell the difference but I assume these are solids and not hollows.

$150.00 for the 22's and $175.oo for the 28's or $300.00 for both sets. PayPal okay if you pay the fee and shipping is actual cost with you designating the method you want.

WP_20160701_15_07_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20160701_15_06_06_Pro.jpg

Hollow T Bars are gun drilled and the OD mics slightly larger than the effective spring rate diameter.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks for the info. Two problems. I can't find my micrometer (I'm old - I lose things). Second is I don't know what gun drilled is. Supplying a picture of end. Is this gun drilling?

WP_20160701_17_19_49_Pro.jpg

good price, but I'm confused as why these couldn't be used? too stiff for your preference?
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Not sure of the logic. I cannot find and reference on the 912 site that would lead me to believe the combo of 22 and 28 would be approriate for a '68 912. Bob Fox was a recognized expert in the greater Philadelpia area and he told me he could not get a smoth handling car at the proper ride height with these bars. I think he drove around the block at his shop and immediately called me to say they could not be used. In retrospect, these bars must have travelled a mile or two since he did road test them. Sorry for the negligent misrepresentation as to them never having been on the road. I guess rough ride was the problem although I think he also represented that he could not achieve full ride height with these bars. You guys that know about suspensions can tell me if that was a correct representation.

Some day I'll set forth my trials and tribulations with the engine, but at this point lets just say I was able to drive the car for eight miles before a rod let go. Can't really say how the handling was with the new bars. In to the car for about $70,000.00 but hope to drive it up to Limerock on Labor day.

Still would like an answer as to whether these are "gun drilled". Thanks all

Gun drilled means you should see a hole down the center of the bar.

22/28 would be really stout for a street car. I'm running 21/26 in my 74 with the added weight of a 3.2 and its on the comfortable side of stiff for street use.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

member #1515
    Way too stiff for a 912
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

65 through 67 912's had 18/23's. They went to 18/22's in 68 if I recall. 22/28's might be OK on a smooth track but would be way too stiff for most including myself for the street. I went up 1 mm on my 67 912 with 19/24 SC bars. It's just a little firmer but still comfortable for long drives.
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche