Thread: Need help identifying these struts

Need help identifying these struts

Hi, I just picked up a bunch of parts that I am trying to identify before I sell them here. I believe these are SWB struts with Bilstein inserts but they have 3" inch spacing for the caliper so that confuses me a little. Your help is appreciated.

Name:  20160704_092616.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  142.9 KB
    Name:  20160704_092655.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  150.6 KB
    Michael Rogers
    Founder Nor Cal Vintage VW & Porsche Treffen and the Nor Cal Vintage VW & Porsche Swap Meet
    1971 911T Targa/gold metallic
    1969 912 Burgundy red
    Rgruppe #833
    https://www.facebook.com/Nor-Cal-Vin...9809110032975/

I know there are experts here that can visibly tell these apart. Then there are people like me. Any part numbers?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Boge housings
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

looks like 1965-69 front struts
    Glenn Stazak

Quote Originally Posted by gms View Post
    looks like 1965-69 front struts
    Better edit that, Glenn. 1965-1968

Also, looks like they have Bilstein guts. Not a bad score.

They do not have any special caliper bolt spacing ... not sure why you're confused.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

opps 1968 not 1969
    Glenn Stazak

Thanks guys for the info, my understanding was that Bilsteins had 3.5" spacing so if someone wants to break down how the struts worked I think we could all benefit from a history lesson. Each time a tackle a project on my car I glean knowledge from different sources to help me better understand how it all went down back in the day. I also learn a lot each time I sell parts that I am not familiar with because I try my best to learn about the part before I ask for help.

Thanks again
    Michael Rogers
    Founder Nor Cal Vintage VW & Porsche Treffen and the Nor Cal Vintage VW & Porsche Swap Meet
    1969 912 Burgundy red
    Rgruppe #833

Quote Originally Posted by 55Outlaw View Post
    Thanks guys for the info, my understanding was that Bilsteins had 3.5" spacing so if someone wants to break down how the struts worked I think we could all benefit from a history lesson. Each time a tackle a project on my car I glean knowledge from different sources to help me better understand how it all went down back in the day. I also learn a lot each time I sell parts that I am not familiar with because I try my best to learn about the part before I ask for help.

Thanks again
    Bilstein didn't make a SWB strut. No factory SWB 911 strut ever used a caliper with a 3.5" bolt spread.

Back in the day your choices were Koni or Bogue struts. In the last 40-50 years Bilstein and Koni have made inserts for the Bogue strut, but only Koni inserts work with Koni struts.

The only "funky" SWB brakes were the 911L and 911S which used vented rotors.
    -Marco

Ok all good info thanks Mr9146 for the SWB info anybody got the same sort of info for LWB cars?
    Michael Rogers
    1969 912 Burgundy red
    Rgruppe #833

Quote Originally Posted by 55Outlaw View Post
    Ok all good info thanks Mr9146 for the SWB info anybody got the same sort of info for LWB cars?
    There were Koni, Bogue and Hydrapneumatic shocks offered on LWB cars.

S cars usually got Konis with the big brakes.
    E cars got the Hydrapneumatic garbage with the big brakes
    T cars got the Bogues with small brakes.

Konis are garbage so Porsche phased them out in the mid-70s (76/77) and went to Bilstein as the up-market supplier. Bilstein is what most SCs and early Carreras came with when ordered with updated suspension. Turbos got the Bilsteins, too.

Late Bogues have both externally and internally threaded bodies depending on YOM. They will accept Bilstein inserts. They were also delivered with big brakes starting in 74, I think.

In 1972 Porsche went from the pinch-type ball joint to the pin-type ball joint and the bottom of the strut will tell you what ball joint is to be used (hole vs. threaded).

That's not 100% inclusive but it's pretty close ... I may have some of the years wrong but is tough to remember everything about the old cars AND the water pumpers, too.
    -Marco