Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate, greatest under-rated rock albums of all-time thread

The ultimate, greatest under-rated rock albums of all-time thread

Good day. You've had this in the back of your mind for three years. Finally it's out. You're welcome.

First has to be Deep Purple's Fireball.
    Richie Blackmore at his very best...and there wasn't many drummers better than Ian Pace.

https://youtu.be/L_yky-yLKoE
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Pink Floyd's Animals.....

When your line-up includes Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall, Animals is easy to overlook. But some of David Gilmour's finest guitar work and Roger's darkest lyrics are hidden here on this highly underrated album.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    Not the greatest following for sure - hence "under rated." Never did have a single co-worker appreciate it (shocking). Then not to many appreciated growing up in the So Cal surf/skate culture either. The greatest & ultimate - to me.

"Social Distortion" - the self titled album (1990)

Actually their 3rd album, it was Social Distortion's first album that was not financed by the band. The album includes the singles "Ball and Chain" and "Story of My Life" as well as a cover of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. The self-titled album fared better than both of their first 2 albums (Mommy's Little Monster and Prison Bound), and is often credited as Social Distortion's best known work, with sales continuing 26 years after its release. It is also sometimes cited as among the best rock albums of 1990.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SD Swede; 07-29-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

Quote Originally Posted by SD Swede View Post
    Not the greatest following for sure - hence "under rated." Never did have a single co-worker appreciate it (shocking). Then not to many appreciated growing up in the So Cal surf/skate culture either. The greatest & ultimate - to me.

"Social Distortion" - the self titled album (1990)

Actually their 3rd album it was Social Distortion's first album that was not financed by the band. The album includes the singles "Ball and Chain" and "Story of My Life" as well as a cover of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. The self-titled album fared better than both of their first 2 albums (Mommy's Little Monster and Prison Bound), and is often credited as Social Distortion's best known work, with sales continuing 26 years after its release. It is also sometimes cited as among the best rock albums of 1990.
    This one has my vote!!
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

....and now Mike Ness is doing county music! He is a pretty decent guy. He was friends with my older brother back then and I saw lots of SD Gigs growing up. I asked Mike why he went country and the basic answer was that he was so burned out on singing the same old hits that everyone wanted "Story of my life especially) that he could not function anymore.

Great band from the post punk culture

Here's my vote...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybn8TBZAZ0

From Wikipedia...

Crack the Sky is an American progressive rock band formed in Weirton, West Virginia in the early 1970s. In 1975, Rolling Stone Magazine declared their first album "debut album of the year", and in 1978, Rolling Stone Record Guide compared them to Steely Dan;[1] their first three albums charted on the Billboard 200.

I was generally never a huge fan of live albums, but this one is truly awesome! I still have this on vinyl...from waaaaaay back in the day.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

One of the influences on early rock, Elvis went to see Hank Williams perform and was in awe of him.

The Hillbilly Shakespeare is not a huge seller today. The tunes seem pretty old. "Tear in my Beer' was one of those. Recorded 1950 (not released)...an acetate survived outdoors under a tarp, as well as a long time in a San Antonio attic...but discovered in 1986.

youtube.com/watch?v=KR31easm__c

With H.W. Jr.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j39IcTbtlJs

https://books.google.com/books?id=sV...0found&f=false

Artist: Buckethead
    Album: Colma
    Reference track: Big Sur Moon

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

well that's my youth - not saying it's the best or most underrated, but it's the second frame I put on the wall after moving

P1130499.jpg

Audience, "The House on the Hill" 1971. From my misspent youth working in a record store.
    https://youtu.be/J4xnPKf4I-8
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images