Thread: Original Seat restoration advices

Original Seat restoration advices

Hi all,

before to go to an upholsterer, I’d like to get suggestions and opinions from skilled people about my seats and how to restore them.

You can see them in the photo below.

Those seats are from a never resored 1973, and after 46 Y.O. they lost their comfort: seats and backrest do not offer needed strength anymore and when I sit on I feel falling into them.

I also think that the angle regulation lever of the backrest need lubricating because even if it works when I try to get closer to the steering weel the backrest jumps a step back until in previous position.
    (What parts do I have to lube or grese ?)

I’d like get your point of view about seat restoration... can this task reduce the value of an unrestored car ?

Did you replace springs and cushions with new ones or you just cushions reusing old springs?

Is it better to use original springs o generical upholsterer springs as reinforcement?
    Original Porsche springs are very expensive and original cushions aren’t provided anymore.
    Name:  IMG_20160417_184232.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  63.6 KB

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

I wasn't comfortable in my worn-out, lop-sided 46-year-old driver's seat until I bought a new springbox from Einmalig in CA for about $400 or so. I also got a new foam pad. It made all the difference in the world. Remember...the largest interface between you and your 911 is your butt so a well-fitting seat is of vital importance.
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

Replace the springs and cushions and keep the original vinyl It looks great!

Hi,
    where are you from.
    Here in Germany http://www.oldtimersitz-restauration.de is a supplier of the springs.
    Cheers

Uli

Ok, thank you for sharing your experience.
    I'll order a new set of springs an cushions.

I'm from Italy and i'm looking for reliable source now... a big thanks also to uai user, even if suggested site is german only and actually I can't read it.

Anyone in Italy?

Well within europe that shouldn't be a problem to shiop them. No Tax no customs no hussle.
    I'm sure somebodey there speaks english and if you know the type and year of the seat they can provide it - they don't need samples you can order right away for Porsches.
    The rubber coco and foam should be done by an experienced upholsterer otherwise they might be looking a bit strange afterwards.
    Cheers

Uli