Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace Zenith carbs?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Replace Zenith carbs?

I bought a 1970 911T at the beginning of this year and it has run well since then. Going thru the service records I find an invoice for the last service from 2014 (it must have
    been serviced since then because it is in excellent condition and of course it was gone over by 2 mechanics after I bought it). And this invoice includes adjusting the carbs.
    In the comments section it notes that carbs should be replaced because of wear which make it hard for the carbs to hold any adjustments. If a mechanic confirms this
    should they be replaced or fixed? I have had PMOs before and thought they were a work of art but I would like to keep the car as original as possible.
    Don
    1970 911T triple-black
    Attached Images Attached Images  

re-do the Zeniths by a reputable rebuilder. They will work fine for a stock car

X2 zeniths really run sweet in a stock application. I would add insulators below them though. S

Can you provide specifics of the insulators size type etc.
    Thanks
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    Could someone recommend a rebuilder for my Zeniths?
    Don
    1970 911T

If it runs well, why mess with it, unless you just like to spend money.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins View Post
    Could someone recommend a rebuilder for my Zeniths?
    Don
    1970 911T
    +1 for Mr. Breazeale's comment. My 40 TIN carbs aren't perfect but the cars runs really well so I wouldn't mess with them.

If you still need rebuild options try Parts Klassik or Performance Oriented. Both owners have a good reputation for quality work.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

Keep Zeniths, pay for a rebuild, less expensive than new PMO and keep the value of you car.
    Non original parts will pull down the value and cost more than a good rebuild.
    As other said, performance orientrd is one of the most appreciated rebuilders, (if you want you can try messaging 1Quicks at pelicans forum, he is very polite).
    I can't remember if they are still rebuilding Zeniths, they have had problems to find new parts and for some time they have had rebuilt only webers.
    They work very good and you will receive a set of carbs totally restored and already tuned for you car.
    Many users reported after receiving restored carbs from Performance Oriented that they only needs to be mounted.

Hope this helps

I don't understand the comment about the wear preventing the carbs from 'holding' any settings.

Throttle shaft wear is quite rare on Zenith Carbs although throttle plates can be a problem with sealing at the closed throttle position.

It is rare that the bores of the carb show any evidence of wear.

If they have previously been dismantled the bores where the throttle shaft run can be scored as the flexible couplings can mark the shaft ends which then marks the bearing as the shaft is removed.

The marks left by the coupling screws should be 'dressed' before the shafts are removed.

We have a number of spares and we are just about to release a re-build kit complete with parts diagrams and instructions.

We have re-built a significant number of 40TINs now and had good results.

Chris
    These are excellent example congrats on fine work.
    I will be sending mine to you along with. My CV axle overhaul when I can get time to pickup.
    Thanks for post
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)