Thread: removing alternator

removing alternator

I have a 72 911. I have the alternator part way out. I am hung up on the ground strap not allowing me to rotate the alternator to get at the last 2 screws holding the vanes in place. any suggestions???

Thanks
    Tom

At the risk of stating the obvious,,,,,you need to unbolt the ground strap.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

First, be absolutely certain you have disconnected the positive battery cable up front (both sides) or the battery will try to discharge through a large fuse known as YOU.

Next, as Ed correctly says (as ever) there is either a braided or a brown insulated ground strap that is fastened to one of the M8 case parting line studs. Get in there with a 13mm open end wrench and remove the nut and the strap should come off. Use a magnetic retriever to locate the nut if it falls-- there may also be a washer, retrieve that too.

You can give yourself some slack by pulling, gently, the harness through the grommet in the cooling shroud.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

how do I retorque the nut when reassembling? should I use a longer strap?

thanks for the heads up on pos cable. I've only done the neg

It's only an M8 stud so the torque is like 18 foot pounds anyway, just get it tight with a wrench. No need to use a longer strap and in fact you don't want slack flopping around in there (where it could contact the B+ stud, for example, and give you an 800 amp arc welding show).

Negative or positive disconnect will work to cut off the current of course, just be sure that whatever you do, you do it to both batteries.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I.m progressing. how do I separate the fan/shroud from the alt? I have tapped on the bolts with nuts to protect the threads. no movement so far. soaking in Kroil now

what is the gauge of the ground strap? I'm thinking of making a cable an inch longer using 10 ga stranded wire

I remove the alternator with its housing from the engine. Set the housing on a pair of four by fours on a bench with back of the alternator facing up. Put on three nuts 120 degrees apart on the studs, lay a brass hammer on the nuts, hit it with a ball pein, alternating at each nut. The alt is a tight fit in the housing so must be "walked " out to prevent binding.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Which stud on the case is the ground strap supposed to be bolted to? 1st or 2nd

The first one, or closest, it is also slightly longer to accommodate that strap. I was going to say the one you took it off of,,,,,but just in case
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Mine was on the 2nd stud. That's why I had no slack