Thread: Replacing cold start injection fuel hoses, '72

Replacing cold start injection fuel hoses, '72

I replaced all of the fuel hoses on my '72 last weekend as preventative maintenance. Some were ok, some were practically fossilized. The only ones I didn't touch yet were the cold start injection lines. I'm pretty sure my cold start lines are original. The braided fabric covering has turned gray and the clamps are the crimp style ones. Despite their age they're still flexible and not leaking.

I'm paranoid because I know the plastic tees are brittle and NLA. What is best practice for refurbishing these lines? What type of hose clamps should I use and how should I keep from breaking the tees? Should I just leave them alone?
    Ben
    2012 997 C2S Platinum Silver
    1972 911T Coupe Tangerine Sold
    2006 Cayman S Speed Yellow Sold

If they're still flexible I'd leave them alone. I do replace them when necessary by carefully cutting thru the crimp clamp with a small cutoff wheel, then using a razor knife carefully cut thru the hose without getting into the the tee. Now you can remove the hose without applying undue pressure on the tee. I use the correct size braided hose and lube it up with Wurth silicone paste so the hose slides on easily. Before sliding on the hose I slip on the correct crimp clamps. Then I crimp the clamps with the special clamp pliars. Standard screw clamps just don't look right. So unless you have all that, and since they are still flexible, I'd leave well enough alone.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, thanks. That makes sense and sounds like a good process.
    Ben
    2012 997 C2S Platinum Silver
    1972 911T Coupe Tangerine Sold
    2006 Cayman S Speed Yellow Sold