Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cleaning with dry ice

@speedo Dry ice blasting is "non-abrasive" so not appropriate for getting your body down to bare metal. Also, its much more expensive. There are a couple places that I know of around town (and a couple more planning) using dry ice. I have no direct experience with either shop: 5280 Motorsport, near 70-25 interchange, and Farland, across from Blast Tech. Blast Tech told me that they had no plans to add it to their shop. And like you stated, I know of no chemical dippers in the area.
    Registry #1917
    1971 Condagrun 911T targa
    1974 Indisrot Carrera coupe (US)
    1972 BMW Polaris 3.0 CS

I'm in central Pennsylvania. It seems I'm about half way between Peak Dry Ice Blasting near Youngstown, OH (Pennsylvania/Ohio border)and Penn Mobile Dry Ice Blasting near Hazelton, PA (eastern half of the state).
    Peak shows my area is covered on their website. So I may place a call to get an estimate as I'm getting close to that point on my restoration. I'll report back on my findings.
    I don't mind spending some time with a wire wheel, but some of those nooks and tight corners just don't lend themselves to a fun time.

There is a chemical dipping place close to mehttps://3schemicalsllc.com/pages/ind...aning-services About 20 minutes west of Altoona, PA. But I've heard different stories about the left behind/non rinsed out "acid" continuing to do it's job long after the cars been finished and causing long term issues.
    ESR member 4002
    1971 911T project
    1999 Boxster
    2001 Porsche 996 Cabriolet 4

Quote Originally Posted by Grilleguy View Post
    I'm in central Pennsylvania. It seems I'm about half way between Peak Dry Ice Blasting near Youngstown, OH (Pennsylvania/Ohio border)and Penn Mobile Dry Ice Blasting near Hazelton, PA (eastern half of the state).
    Peak shows my area is covered on their website. So I may place a call to get an estimate as I'm getting close to that point on my restoration. I'll report back on my findings.
    I don't mind spending some time with a wire wheel, but some of those nooks and tight corners just don't lend themselves to a fun time.

There is a chemical dipping place close to mehttps://3schemicalsllc.com/pages/ind...aning-services About 20 minutes west of Altoona, PA. But I've heard different stories about the left behind/non rinsed out "acid" continuing to do it's job long after the cars been finished and causing long term issues.

I had heard similar concerns of the chemicals continuing to bleed and also concerns with media/sand blasting. I opted to remove paint using dry ice. It works remarkably well and doesn't heat the panels nor leave debris in crevices - or chemicals.

Name:  20191122_122522_37e845d297a31ea1815ff13733d2094a07698a5a.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  141.5 KB
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Bill,
    That looks impressive. Is this a before shot of your yellow car or another in the works?
    Philip
    69 Bahama T
    S Reg# 2753

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Tea View Post
    Bill,
    That looks impressive. Is this a before shot of your yellow car or another in the works?
    Philip
    Thanks - yes, this is a photo of me working on my signal yellow '72 a few years ago. I spent time in my sheet metal/body shop guy's shop doing work myself (with his guidance) - including the dry ice. What was impressive was how you could dial up or down the pressure and use different nozzles. It could be set to take one layer off at a time, or dial it up to completely remove the several layers of paint on my car with each stroke. No heating/warping of the panels and no mess.

Here are some more shots:

Name:  photo957.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  photo403.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  67.0 KB
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by myflat6 View Post
    I had heard similar concerns of the chemicals continuing to bleed and also concerns with media/sand blasting. I opted to remove paint using dry ice. It works remarkably well and doesn't heat the panels nor leave debris in crevices - or chemicals.
    Clearly I've been misinformed! I was told by a local shop that dry ice would not harm paint, which is why everyone wants to use it to clean their engine compartments, undercarriage, etc.
    Is the difference in detailing vs. stripping just a matter of adjusting the velocity/pressure? granularity?
    Registry #1917
    1971 Condagrun 911T targa
    1974 Indisrot Carrera coupe (US)
    1972 BMW Polaris 3.0 CS

Quote Originally Posted by rmakosaito View Post
    Clearly I've been misinformed! I was told by a local shop that dry ice would not harm paint, which is why everyone wants to use it to clean their engine compartments, undercarriage, etc.
    Is the difference in detailing vs. stripping just a matter of adjusting the velocity/pressure? granularity?
    Yes, there is a wide range of adjustments/power. I have seen a video of someone taking just the print off a business card while the paper is undamaged.
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by rmakosaito View Post
    News to me as well. I was told DI wouldn’t touch rust or paint.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"