Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find original engine number

How to find original engine number

Hi all - first post after a lot of lurking.

I need to find out the original engine number of my car. How do I find out? I would love to start a search for the original.

I have had helpful suggestions of contacting PCA or one of the dealerships. PCA will not give out engine numbers for any reason because of security issues, and will only confirm if the number you give them matches their records. I have no problem with this, but even if you give proof of ownership of the car, they can't help. Dealerships can only access records back to 1980.

Is there any other way to track down this information? Or is there someone I have to bribe?

Cheers, Nathan

$100 bribe to PCNA seriously order the COA from them and the engine number will be there along with other pertaining information.
    then you can post a WTB ad or cruise the lost and found thread to see if anybody out there has your engine.
    Cheers!
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Have finally got a COA out of Porsche GB. Now looking for case #6390187.

Cheers, Nathan

Was the car originally a UK delivery Nathan?

How did you get it Nathan? I have the same problem, our local importer wants close to $300 to confirm the numbers (I mean to confirm only). All the others match, but I'm lacking the confirmation for the last 3 digits.... I'd be happy to get it (and also pay for it) from PCNA, if that's the best solution. Richard, how do I obtain it from PCNA while living in Europe?
    Timo

"There's no point living if you can't feel alive"
    - a few 911s & some others
    Early 911S Registry #3206

1969 911S- you'd be praying to the Porsche gods that case is lying around somewhere ...

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post

Cheers, Nathan
    Craig
    Newcastle, Australia
    ESR #1479

1973 2.4E Coupe ex Hong Kong ex Norfolk Island ex New Zealand now in Oz
    (Autowerks restored stunner)
    http://www.autowerks.com.au/porsche_projects/index.html

1972 2.4E Targa ex Germany ex Japan now in Oz
    (another Autowerks project)

1969 built E based Vintage Racer
    (another Autowerks beauty)
    http://s12.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

timo
    do you have a friend in the US ? PCNA will only ship to a US address, as Richard said the CoA they provide has all those details the others wont provide

Quote Originally Posted by 993TT View Post
    How did you get it Nathan? I have the same problem, our local importer wants close to $300 to confirm the numbers (I mean to confirm only). All the others match, but I'm lacking the confirmation for the last 3 digits.... I'd be happy to get it (and also pay for it) from PCNA, if that's the best solution. Richard, how do I obtain it from PCNA while living in Europe?
    Craig
    Newcastle, Australia
    ESR #1479

1973 2.4E Coupe ex Hong Kong ex Norfolk Island ex New Zealand now in Oz
    (Autowerks restored stunner)
    http://www.autowerks.com.au/porsche_projects/index.html

1972 2.4E Targa ex Germany ex Japan now in Oz
    (another Autowerks project)

1969 built E based Vintage Racer
    (another Autowerks beauty)
    http://s12.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

as detailed on this site - US$200 for the kardex from the Netherlands, for a 1969 car would be the way to go
    I just got mine

(ps was well worth it … from the Kardex, as well as confirming the interior colour and materials, i found out that the first owner was Tony Maggs: a 1960s South African F1 driver with 27 F1 starts and 3 podium finishes !)
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Yes it was a UK car. I also sent the application in via family in the UK, and had to pay the fee with a UK cheque.

I'm glad I have some more info on the car - the only surprise was the original beige interior.

My 68S

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post

Cheers, Nathan
    I had to pay $43k last year to get my 68S engine, well worth it though.
    1927 Lancia Lambda
    1940 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS
    1946 Alfa Romeo 2500 S Touring
    1947 Alfa Romeo 2500 S PF Sedan
    1962 Karmann Ghia
    1968 911L
    1968 911S
    1971 911S

Toby Primrose +61415333380