Thread: High Output Alternator, 95 Amps

High Output Alternator, 95 Amps

I saw this on Pelican. Has anyone used one of these on their car? With EFI, all lights on and fans it seems it would have more than enough power to supply all systems.
    Chris

High Output Replacement Alternator, (new) - 95 Amps, 911 (1966-77)

Part #: PEL-ALT95-27
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I use the internal volt regulator alternators on my race car and my 73. I got tired of batteries emptied of their fluid. They make them to fit all the different fan housing depths, early cars have the shallow depth. Maybe not concours but they work and have nice 1.5mm thread pitch on the shafts. G

$800 - quite expensive

We tend to use a slighty lower output for 65-77 cars - 80 Amps -- $250.00

There is a version for the later housing which is 90A at $375.00

Here is the 80A version

Chris,
    Where would I source those in the US? Do they have the internal VR's?
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    Chris,
    Where would I source those in the US? Do they have the internal VR's?
    Chris
    Sadly, I have no idea.

...And enough current left for some impromptu welding. 60 Amps is plenty unless you are rocking' a bonnet full of subwoofers.

or 4 Cibie Spot lamps and a heated screen on a Rally Car

Quote Originally Posted by G69 View Post
    ...And enough current left for some impromptu welding. 60 Amps is plenty unless you are rocking' a bonnet full of subwoofers.
    Seriously. Most people don't need the monster alternators...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I wouldn't generally fit these to standard cars but when you need and upgrade they are not bad value.

We normally fit a heated screen and a small blower to most Rally and Race cars we look after - At Spa in the rain with a standard demist system life can become quite exciting as the car mists up and you just can't see.

Eau Rouge in these circumstances is very character building.

Heated screens need around 30A.

Many early alternators were only rated at around 490W with 770W and 900W being used as well.

490W is around 40 Amps and just not enough.

770W is about 60 Amps and again marginal with heated screens.

900W is 75A so an upgrade to 80 to 90A isn't huge.

My daily driver (SAAB 9-5) has a 130A jobbie fitted and with all the lights, heated screen and aircon driven it only charges at 12.7 V.

At no load it charges at 14.5 so the power used is remarkable.

I agree old Porsches use less but they still don't have generously rated systems.

When we have an early car with a 60A alternator we generally just rebuild them at a cost of around $150.00