Thread: 1965 911 paint strategy?

1965 911 paint strategy?

I was wondering if there is some information out there on the correct strategy for painting a 65. We have completed all rust repair and the car has been shot with epoxy sealer. Still lots of work to do with body and primer, but we need to know how far to go.

What is the preferred undercoating product?
    What should be spayed in the trunk and engine bay?
    Are there areas that should show overspray, as from the factory?

This is a ground up full concours restoration, and I want to be as correct as possible... I will get a blog started soon to share pictures of the process to date... Any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    First thing: what is your chassis number? Things changed throughout the first year!

My car was restored back in the old days when you could buy a '65 911 for what an air cleaner costs today so I can't be 100% sure of everything, but:

Overspray

I don't think there's much overspray on these cars. The Germans were more OCD than the folks who threw together Ferraris.

Undercoating

I think my car still has original undercoating. It's a sort of asphalt stuff. I did some touch-up with this:

Name:  2016-07-21 08.53.47.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  98.8 KB

I think the Würth High Build Underseal is a decent match. It’s probably not exactly like what was around in 1965.

Trunk

Have you gone through the thread Special early 1964 features on 1965 cars? There were changes between the first 911 and the end of 1965. Very early cars had the inside of the lid painted black.

Name:  Red_911_3.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  244.3 KB

The floor of my trunk is somewhat pebble-grained low-gloss (but not flat) black.

Name:  2016-07-21 09.12.10.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  2016-07-21 09.12.10_PS.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  163.1 KB

The Sombrero

Maybe you'll be the first to replicate the Sombrero! It's part # 901.556.101.20 desk pad for emergency wheel.

Name:  Sombrero.gif
Views: 307
Size:  33.1 KB

It's some sort of undercoating-impregnated fabric which forms to the tank:

Name:  IMG_4831_PS.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4831_PS_Detail.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  101.0 KB
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA