Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct corduroy material for sports seats

Correct corduroy material for sports seats

Does anyone know where I can buy the fine ribbed corduroy material used on 911 seats in 72/73 please?

Thanks in anticipation
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde, I do....no where. NLA. Sorry....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Could someone post a reference photo of original 72-73 sport seats with corduroy inserts? My car was delivered with a pair but they have long since been replaced with a set of standard comfort seats. I'd like to know exactly what they're supposed to look like for future reference/ordering a set of reproductions.

If the original material is NLA, what's the next best thing? Cutting up vintage dress pants from ebay.de?
    Ben
    2012 997 C2S Platinum Silver
    1972 911T Coupe Tangerine Sold
    2006 Cayman S Speed Yellow Sold

My European delivered 67S had corduroy inserts. Back in the 70's I was also not able to find OEM replacements. I ended up cutting a small piece from the back of the seat and found the correct whale width at a fabric store, then had it dyed to match. It turned out pretty well.

Try Lakewell.com
    Also Autos international in Escondito, Ca

Stephan (Sattlerei Springer on this board) can supply.
    But be aware that it looks as when it was new - so the coduroy is bit more fluffy than the 40+ year old stuff.

Thanks Uai, I will try to contact him
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

The 72/73 corduroy is not what I would consider a narrow wale, with the exception of the Recaro rally buckets of those years which used their own proprietary narrow wale corduroy.

The 72/73 cord is 5 wale (5 rows per inch), and is pictured below. That's an NOS piece I just pulled from a bag for the pic. The closest I have seen in upholstery cloth is the Scheel fabric, and I think it's still available out of Germany.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes it's this material.
    Name:  P1130474.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  29.1 KB
    This seat belongs to Stephan, he might sell you these original covers or even the complete seat- middle inserts are ok boulsters need (at least partial) replacement.
    @eric: I think it even is Scheel fabric. I'll pull out a scheel seat to compare tomorrow
    Cheers

Uli

[edit] it's past midnight so I might as well post it now - left scheel 1971 - right late recaro porsche sport - little difference but the best match available
    Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  357.5 KB
    Last edited by uai; 07-20-2016 at 02:18 PM.

How do I contact Stephan please
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6