Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Centers selling classics....

Thumbs down Porsche Centers selling classics....

Just saw this add from Porsche Center Swindon in a car magazine. The 911 2.4 T from 1972 is apparently one of the finest example out there, overhauled with no-expense spared.

I wonder why it has 1973 turn signals and black front air grills....

I shouldn't care really, and yet it's painful to see an official Porsche dealer making statements on cars they know clearly very little about.

If Porsche doesn't care about model accuracy and details, who will in the future?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Quote Originally Posted by Milou View Post
    who will in the future?
    the internet

I shouldn't care really, and yet it's painful to see an official Porsche dealer making statements on cars they know clearly very little about.

If Porsche doesn't care about model accuracy and details, who will in the future?
    Take away all the fluff and fancy showrooms its still a car dealer.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

I visited the porsche museum 2 years ago and the 65 911
    The dark grey with red interior had so many thing wrong with it i had a break down as i had traveled from canada to take reference picture
    now on the road 914-6
    now in the shop for concourse resto 11850275 S SWT
    daily driver B8 S4 stage 2

Just saw this add from Porsche Center Swindon in a car magazine. The 911 2.4 T from 1972 is apparently one of the finest example out there, overhauled with no-expense spared.

I wonder why it has 1973 turn signals and black front air grills....

Hi Milou,

I know this car fairly well as Porsche Centre Swindon is my local OPC and I visit there often. Peter Lovett who owns the dealership is a long term Porsche enthusiast and racer, he has quite a collection of early cars.

The guys at the dealership are a keen bunch and their hearts are in the right place although they're not enthusiasts and the early Porsche 'scene' has been thrust upon.

To be fair the the service guys have done a fair job but they're always going to be lacking on the details, I was asked advice on a few items but they should have asked me more (not that I'm any sort of expert). Also not my place to be pointing out the obvious!.......when it comes to the marketing, that's the sales department and you know what those guys are like!

Best part for me is the asking price!.....now that really is something else!

Quote Originally Posted by freezing14 View Post
    I visited the porsche museum 2 years ago and the 65 911
    The dark grey with red interior had so many thing wrong with it i had a break down as i had traveled from canada to take reference picture
    Same thing with the Seinfeld 64 that was at the inaugural Werks Reunion ... restored by the factory and lots of things were just plain incorrect.

That said, A LOT has changed since that car was finished. More original cars have come out of the wood work and proper details have and are being documented.

It's too bad Porsche didn't have any access to that kind of information or the resources to acquire it when they did the Seinfeld car.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 07-20-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I love this thread.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Same thing with the Seinfeld 64 that was at the inaugural Werks Reunion ... restored by the factory and lots of things were just plain incorrect.

That said, A LOT has changed since that car was finished. More original cars have come out of the wood work and proper details have and are being documented. I

t's too bad Porsche didn't have any access to that kind of information or the resources to acquire it when they did the Seinfeld car.
    not much access or recources needed to get the dash covered correct...same for the door handle issue...some things you find on porsche museum cars is just toe-curling
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Black horn grills and black bordered turn signals paired with a Durant mirror on a '72. Tsk tsk

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    not much access or recources needed to get the dash covered correct...same for the door handle issue...some things you find on porsche museum cars is just toe-curling
    Love that door handle gasket... VOMIT.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687