Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing front bumper weights

Removing front bumper weights

Is there a special trick in getting the weights out of my front bumper? I was under the impression that they are clamped in by the bumper brackets. I have everything removed but can not get them out and am reluctant to start prying. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

JK
    Last edited by 718RSK; 07-23-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Start prying

ironically, i am about to begin the process of re-installing those bumper weights. according to the advice i have been given, they are glued in there.

of course, you can begin prying and see what happens. i would speculate that prying of some sort will be necessary, regardless.

although i have no idea what sort of adhesive was used, if it was me, i would attempt to heat the steel to see whether it softens the adhesive.

again, that's only me....

When I removed my bumper they fell on my chest while I was on my back un bolting the bumper. Needless to say I remember they where in a slot and mine just slipped out. Have you removed your bumper?
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

I believe in original state they were 'semi-glued' into place with a glue which, over the ears, turned brown. Ultimately held in by bumper brackets.
    No excusing if the bond has broken down over 50 years...
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

At the back, you have these rubber bumper base weight pads:

http://www.aasesales.com/products/h4c-101475

Originally in 4 mm, 6 mm and 8 mm thickness available.

The PET also mentions "Harz" (350 cm2) and "Füller-Härter" (15 cm2), probably to fix them I thought.

In the October 1971 manual I found they used epoxy resin.

I found indeed a kind of Harz behind the weights on my Aug 66 911.

So you need the power to lift the weight + break the resin in some way :-)
    Last edited by Adore911; 07-25-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Or you could leave well enough alone.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

y'know, i sometimes forget the elegance of the "leave well enough alone" alternative. unfortunately for me, i can't, because my weights fell out of the bumper during dis-assembly, but if "718RSK" has the choice, your alternative would certainly be the least work and would solve the problem, intact.

Oops. Well then, you don't have that option. What are the dimensions on the rubber pieces?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

i am embarrassed to say that i didn't pay attention to any rubber pieces. the weights were rusty, so i used a power wire brush to clean them up, then painted them with POR-15. (until just now, i was quite proud of how they looked.)