Thread: BMW Classic rebuild of Nelson Piquet's Brabham

BMW Classic rebuild of Nelson Piquet's Brabham

Interesting to see other brands working with heritage... and a reminder of how small F1 cars used to be (with 1,000+ horsepower)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa96-rneVLI

Enjoy!!!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Thumbs up

I remember this car (The Gordon Murray cars were always the coolest) and all the turbo era cars at Long Beach. When they went by as a group they seemed to take all the air out of your lungs.........

Thanks for the flashback Stephen.... good/crazy times...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Not just BMW brand heritage! Clive and his colleagues do a great job with his father's legacy at Classic Team Lotus in Norfolk. Piquet drove for Lotus too.

Back when I was one of the two Directors of Lotus Engineering Ltd it could at times be ..."distracting" ... when F1 cars were run around the Hethel test track.

Some of the offices were literally yards from one or two corners and at such times the only practical thing to do was just pause a business meeting and enjoy the sound ....or better still just step outside to watch the spectacle. Some interesting machinery from one of the most championship winning F1 constructors, would have been rude not to enjoy it

image.jpg

As Chuck says the sound and energy of those F1 engines on song is impressive.

Fans of Piquet might be interested to see this plaque commemorating year of his last championship win in 1987 -- one of a series of the Williams team's own championship commemorative plaques I acquired directly from the factory wall display when I heard from a colleague they were available following the office remodelling. I must try to put them up in my home study sometime. Not an actual F1 trophy but the fact the second most successful championship constructor made these display plaques to commemorate each of their racing years at their factory is as close as I'll get to owning a real F1 winners gong.

image.jpg

IIRC the drivers could only count a certain number of wins (was it 11?) in the drivers' championship tally under the prevailing rules so that is why they are two numbers pre and post that adjustment shown. It was a Williams championship and driver 1, 2 that year.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-28-2016 at 07:30 AM.

why don't they use gaskets?
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

Like a high pressure offy, some 935 and 936: a gasket couldn't stand the pressure and one more thing to fail?

Did you see the k-fisch injection pump? It looked like it was right off a 2002 tii!

For me, this is the most beautiful F1.

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    For me, this is the most beautiful F1.
    Same here.

Pics from the '83 Detroit GP:

83 Detroit GP Brabham BMW BT-52 Piquet Nr 5.jpg

83 Detroit GP Nelson Piquet 1.jpg

83 Detroit GP Nelson Piquet 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by geneulm View Post
    Like a high pressure offy, some 935 and 936: a gasket couldn't stand the pressure and one more thing to fail?

Did you see the k-fisch injection pump? It looked like it was right off a 2002 tii!
    Highly likely, the Turbo BMW engine utilized used M10 blocks.

When I bought my BMW 318 the sales man said it was the same bottom end used in F1 ..I was sold!
    Last edited by Gumby; 08-13-2016 at 03:51 AM.
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson