Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about 901 dogleg

Question about 901 dogleg

My dogleg is getting jammed between gears. I have replaced all bushings and knuckle on linkage. Now if I am driving it sometimes it locks up e.g. can't move the shifter. Coast into a parking lot and wiggle it and it moves into gears and I can go. Does anyone else have or have experienced this situation? I am not sure if I have a linkage issue or a gulp Trans issue. Thoughts?

The detents in the int. plate are supposed to prevent two gears being engaged at one time. You might be able to access some of the parts without taking the trans out.

Has any linkage or transmission been done recently,,,,since I assume it used to work fine?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I just replaced all of the bushings and rebuilt the knuckle in the shift linkage. It was stuck in reverse today and I could not move the shift lever until I bumped it with the starter. Then it came free and I could articulate all of the gears once more. (Until next time) Sometimes it does this while I am driving it. I can't remove it from one gear to shift to the next.

I was working fine before the rebuild but was very sloppy

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    I was working fine before the rebuild but was very sloppy
    Get it to a higher authority, pronto, before you do some serious damage to your transmission.

Regards

Jim

I suspect the problem is in your linkage adjustment. If you still have the stock shifter (not some aftermarket piece) then loosen the coupler, put the lever in the neutral position and in the 4-5th gear gate rotate the coupler in the same direction the shift rod rotated when pushed to the 4-5th gate. Now the shift lever and the trans shift rod should both be in the 4-5th gear gate. Tighten the coupler.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks! I will give this a try
    Cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I suspect the problem is in your linkage adjustment. If you still have the stock shifter (not some aftermarket piece) then loosen the coupler, put the lever in the neutral position and in the 4-5th gear gate rotate the coupler in the same direction the shift rod rotated when pushed to the 4-5th gate. Now the shift lever and the trans shift rod should both be in the 4-5th gear gate. Tighten the coupler.

I know, this may not be the same approximate cause of the problem, but I have a 72 2002tii with the early getrag dogleg 5 speed, my box does the same thing but only in 2nd gear, I have to rock the car forward to get her to release. never an issue going from gear to gear, only if I stop in second, I sometime have to start in second. Thought it may have more to do with the synco in second. It's a reach.
    Rusty

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I suspect the problem is in your linkage adjustment.
    +1
    I would bet a cold one on it.