Thread: Swb front suspension question

Swb front suspension question

Hello, I have a swb 1968 'S' four years into restoration it is now going back together, of course four years of moving boxes, has left me short a few bits here a few bits there.

I am left seeking lower rear front a-arm brackets

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  28.5 KB

To attach arms

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 360
Size:  138.8 KB

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Is this arrangement at the top correct for 1968s ? I'm sure I recall a visible plate on the top of the strut previously?Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  115.3 KB
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

The camber plate you have fitted look incorrect.

I think the part you have fitted is 911.341.018.00 which is from a may 1970 onwards car. This camber plate has a one piece rubber bush.

The 'give away' is that the diameter of the rubber bush is significantly larder diameter than the support washer which seems to be the correct size for a SWB bush.

The later camber plate used a larger diameter washer.

The other significant detail is that the pressed portion of the camber plate is very close to the edge of the hole in the inner wing and this is what prevents the suspension from being correctly adjusted

The camber plate 901.341.018.01 and every supplier I have found always deliver the wrong part when you use this part number.

The correct camber plate will allow a much greater range of adjustment.

I think that with this camber plate fitted you will struggle to do better than obtain 4 degrees of caster rather than the 6.5 degrees that is ideal.

Unfortunately 910.341.018.01 is NLA.

We have just completed our first prototype pressing which is still a little rough around the edges but the next version will be better.

They are pressed from Domex 700MC which is a an extremely high strength steel that is both ductile and weldable.

This plates are designed to complement the correct rubber bush which we already manufacture.

Chris,

Those camber plate look very nice. How much is it for a pair?

I will be inspecting a '70 911 shortly - How can I tell if the sheetmetal domes of the inner fenders are the early type (pre- May '70) or the later type with lesser caster angle?

How do you know the change happened in May exactly?
    Last edited by blue72s; 03-25-2017 at 06:50 AM.

68 S camber plate

Are the non S camber plates or 912 camber plates interchangeable?
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.