Thread: Offering comment about some sellers' techniques & my appreciation of Early S Registry

Offering comment about some sellers' techniques & my appreciation of Early S Registry

I am a dedicated fan of the Early S Registry for a number of reasons, and periodically, someone or something adds more reasons to rely on this forum in buying/selling parts. I'm not selling anything in this thread, but I just read an ad on another forum which stated...

"Solid and straight except for the rusted through area...."

Please read that description carefully...

I'm sure those types of items are offered here, too, but I can envision a seller offering an item like that and getting a series of really ugly responses from our members.

The Early S Registry offers a LOT of value, and one of those values is the opportunity to respond to an add in a way that discourages this sort of marginal dishonesty.

Thanks to the Registry and the folks who manage the website.

Yes, the most infamous I've seen was not here or Pelican, but on The Samba. (I believe the same car is still 'for sale' 7 years later - just not at that price)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

That's a funny read...Well, he eventually was banned from the Samba, multiple bannings on the Bird, and EBay. He has been placing ads here recently though.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

For Sale DOG in excellent health. missing only left ear and right paw but otherwise very healthy

And my personal favorite....the "original owner" or "1-owner car" being sold by someone other then the original owner.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

these responses made me laugh, but i have seen examples of almost all of them. the world is full of sellers like that, i guess. Ebay seems to have the highest number of those guys, with Samba close behind.

the good news about this thread and Early S Registry is that sellers who do such things without repentance get tagged pretty quickly and then get subjected to corrective abuse. (My dad never beat me, but there were a couple of times when I used an adult word and felt his hand on the back of my head, and I ALWAYS got the point.)

the thread got the response i had hoped. this is a good community with a lot of value.